What is the full form of ACS
ACS: American Chemical Society
ACS stands for American Chemical Society. It is the world's largest scientific society and a leading source of reliable scientific information. It is at the forefront of the evolving worldwide chemistry enterprise and a professional home for chemists and related professionals across the globe. It is based in the United States and its president is Allison A. Campbell.
ACS is a dynamic and visionary organization which aims to improve people?s lives through the transforming power of chemistry. Its mission is to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of people and Earth.
What ACS Do
- Publishes scientific journals and databases
- Convenes major research conferences
- Provides educational and career programs in chemistry
- Provides grants for research in petroleum and related fields
- Educates the public policy makers and general public about the importance of chemistry
- Sponsors a number of international activities such as joint conferences with chemical societies
In the United States, it has 185 local sections which allow members to:
- Connect with chemists and related professionals in their geographic area
- Enhance their professional development by participating in programs in their city or town
- Improve the public understanding of chemistry in their communities
At the national level, the Society allows members to participate in 33 specialty divisions such as food and agriculture, industrial and engineering chemistry etc. These divisions help members to:
- Become aware of latest developments in their areas of expertise
- Monitor growth in similar fields and network with colleagues
- Contribute to the growth and recognition of their scientific discipline
Globally, it represents more than 140 countries and its international membership exceeds 24,000. Around 60 % articles published in ACS journals and around 50% of the material covered in the Society?s Chemical Abstracts Service originates outside the United States.
- Project SEED: It is an education program of ACS which offers brilliant but economically disadvantaged high school students an opportunity to expand their education and career outlook.
- ACS Scholars Program: It is a scholarship program which provides scholarships and support to minority students who want to earn a degree in chemistry or related fields.
- Advancing Chemistry Teaching: This program is designed for the professional development of science teachers. It helps teacher present chemistry in the classroom in a better way.
- Green Chemistry Education and Outreach: It is an initiate of ACS to implement the green chemistry and engineering principles into all aspects of the chemical enterprise.