Advantages and Disadvantages of C Language
C programming language is a general-purpose language; for every procedure base work, we need this language because C language is a procedural programming language. The C compiler passes every program written in the c language to have the correct output. Our very famous windows operating system is written and designed in C language. Dennis Ritchie prepared the language at bell laboratories in 1972. The language was mainly invented to design the UNIX OS. C language is the successor of the B language; the language was validated by American National Standard Institute (ANSI). Due to its flexibility, Performance, efficiency, and closeness to the hardware, the C language is ideal for designing Operating Systems.
Advantages of C Language
- Easy: The main reason for choosing the C language is code portability; C language is highly portable as you can write code in one system and use the code in another system. the code compilation is faster and more efficient. Anyone can easily grasp concepts of C language with the help of some online tutorials. Everyone can easily understand the code; the individual requires no prior or technical knowledge to understand this language. C language has the one of the simplest syntax in comparison to another programming language.
- Libraries for More Practical Programming: For more Practical Programming, C provides access to more and more libraries for better problem-solving abilities. C Language gives lots of built-in functions consisting of system-provided and user-defined functions. The developers optimize the libraries daily to make the programming in c better and optimize for the user. Built-in libraries make the work for the developer easy, as when the developer develops a function, the function is used repeatedly. Again then, they chooses to make a library of that function. So, they can use that library as often as possible, and in any system they wishes.
- So Easy to Write in The Compiler: Another reason C is so popular as an efficient language among programmers is that it allows them to create their software without worrying about syntax errors. If you're unfamiliar with coding, using the structured language, C will help you develop better skills. You'll create more efficient and effective solutions with C in compare to another programming languages.
- Faster Running Speed: Any developer who wants to execute any program or application quickly relies on the C language for the fast execution cycle. As C uses fewer instructions, it executes faster than any other programming language, such as Java, Ruby, PHP, etc.
- Compile Time Speed Accuracy: The C compiler is very efficient; it quickly produces your code into machine-level code. Lakhs of lines of code can be compiled at one instance of a time and put in front of a developer in a couple of seconds. The C compiler makes the code more efficient for faster and optimized execution. as the compile time is high in the c language, the error detections are also at high-speed rates.
- Procedural-Oriented Programming Language: Users create procedures or functions to execute their programs in C Language. It's very easy to fit a procedure-oriented language because of the way it works algorithms to execute the statements the developer writes. Suppose the developer wants to develop a program using procedure-oriented language. In that case, you need to frame an algorithm and convert it into a function in the C compiler, as the compiler provides better optimization and faster exception.
- Easy Debug: Debugging in the c language is easy and practical as the language does not require any complex statements in the execution, and the speed of compilations and execution is a bit faster than in any other language, so debugging is a faster and easier task to manipulate the code circumstances.
- Open Source: The language C is a free and open-source programming language that is publicly accessible and available in all coding and programming platforms. The code of the c language is also publicly available. One can easily download the compiler of the language and can start working.
Disadvantages of C Language
- Missing Concept of OOPs Technology: C is a massive and vast language, but it does not have the concept of OOPs like Inheritance, Polymorphism, Encapsulation, Abstraction, Data Hiding, overloading, and overriding. Due to this it is sometimes hectic for the programmer to solve a real-world problem easily.
- Run-Time Execution Error: In the C programming language, errors or bugs are not detected after each line of code in the compiler for faster debugging; the major problem is the compiler shows all the errors after writing the program, which makes the checking of code corrections very complex in thousands of lines of code. Thus the developer faces optimization issues in the language.
- Missing Namespaces: For the declaration of the variable to use on any other line of code, the concept of a namespace is missing, as we can't declare the same name to another variable in the C language. The c language is considered the old-school programming language for this major problem.
- Poor Memory Management: The C language is very smart in that it automatically allocates the memory for the Developer's program when it's needed for the execution of the program. The problem arises when the programmer wants to allocate the memory dynamically; the programmer should keep in mind the memory management techniques to get allocate the memory using the malloc function.
- No Garbage Collection: Garbage collection is a feature that automatically reclaims memory from objects no longer needed by an application or library. It can be used for both automatic and manual garbage collection. Automatic garbage collection occurs when there is insufficient free space on the heap to allocate new objects; this may occur because all available physical RAM was allocated to other processes running on the computer system. Manual garbage collection explicitly frees unused memory blocks with calls to functions such as malloc.
But in C/C++ languages, there's no such feature of garbage collection as the culture of these languages is to leave storage management to the Developer or programmer. Hence, it would be technically tedious and harsh on pockets to implement a precise garbage collector for C / C++.
- No Constructor and Destructor: The major drawback in the C language is the missing feature of constructor and destructor as the language lacks the support of OOPS technology and concepts. Both constructor and destructor are the member functions created when the class is created. This support helps memory occupation by the objects as soon as the program terminates or is created. The feature helps many programmers to perform programming tasks with great ease.
- Poor Exception Handling: All programming languages have the feature of optimized exception handling; the critical character is missing from the C language as in the results, and the response to errors is very slow in C Language.