Top 40 Most Asked AutoCAD Interview Questions
Following is the list of most frequently asked AutoCAD interview questions and their best possible answers.
1) What is AutoCAD?
AutoCAD is a software program used to design, form, and shape the 2-D and 3-D images using a computer. AutoCAD provides a set of tools that we can use to complete a detailed design of the product. It also provides an option to create a detailed design layout, which can be automatically drawn using a source model. Autodesk developed this software and first released it in 1982.
2) What are the basic requirements to run AutoCAD software?
To run AutoCAD software, the operating system of your computer should support graphic controllers. It is free to use and can be downloaded from its official site. The AutoCAD software is mainly used by Architects, mechanical engineers, mechanical engineering students, etc., across the globe to design the complex infrastructure and identifies flaws before implementing it so that they can save time and resources.
3) What are the primary uses of AutoCAD?
Architects and professionals mainly use AutoCAD to visualize the imaginary view of the product on a computer system. In AutoCAD, you can easily use the drafter to make the changes in the product before it gets finalized for design. It also facilitates professionals to implement their various ideas and provide various suppliers or clients.
4) Which file format is used in the AutoCAD design?
In AutoCAD, the ".dwg" file format is used for design which provides an interchangeable format. It is one of the most popular computer-assisted design (CAD) packages. AutoDesk maintains the .dwg format. It is a compact binary format that stores and describes 2D and 3D design data and metadata content.
5) In which fields you see the maximum use of AutoCAD software?
The AutoCAD software is mainly used by architects, professionals, mechanical engineers, and builders for developing their machinery and building layouts.
6) How can you create a user interface in AutoCAD?
We can create a user interface in AutoCAD using the command prompts to draw the plots and dialog boxes. To display the dialog boxes, use the PLOT command and the external database commands (ASE). The setting of CMDDIA to 1 facilitates the dialog boxes to run the command. The user interface creation also requires the command line to display the entire file so that you can edit and customize it easily.
7) What do you understand by grips?
Grips facilitates us to edit the AutoCAD drawings in an entirely new way. You can stretch, move, copy, rotate, scale, and mirror entities without entering any edit commands by using grips.
8) What is the difference between CAD and CADD?
Difference between CAD and CADD:
9) What is an angular dimension?
A dimension that measures the angle between two lines or the angle inscribed by an arc segment is called the angular dimension.
10) What is the function of vertical integration?
In AutoCAD, a vertical integration program is used to enhance the architectural design of a 3D object. The 3D objects can consist of walls and other things associated with the data having information and simple objects such as lines and circles. The data is programmed in such a way that it can specify only the architectural products and the extracted files. It can also be modified according to the requirement.
11) What do you understand by polar coordinates?
The value locating a point in space that describes its location relative to the last point is described as polar coordinates.
12) What do you understand by aligned dimension?
The aligned dimension is a linear dimension measuring the distance between two points. The dimension line for an aligned dimension is parallel to a line between points.
13) What is the use of variants in AutoCAD?
Uses of variants in AutoCAD:
14) What are the measures that allow the drag and drop functionality in AutoCAD?
In AutoCAD, the usage of "NOUN" and "VERB" in a dialog box allows to drag and drop the elements. It makes the element pass from one point to another. By using the "MOVE and ERASE," we can execute the remove or editing function.
15) How can you remove the aberration of empty layers?
There are several ways to remove the aberration of empty layers. For example, you can remove it by using all the objects concurrently in a single place. You can also obliterate the references to the layers or even freeze their layers. After deleting the empty layer, the result will be created in the DXF file.
16) Apart from empty layers, is there any way to hide the specific layers while plotting?
Yes, there are several ways to hide the specific layers while plotting. Some of them are following:
17) How can you draw a line more than one time and save it automatically?
When we need to draw a new line, we have to open up a new file in a new session to write the file. AutoCAD allows us to save multiple drawings for each session. We can save these files by using the file extension ".dwg" and modify them using the browser.
18) Which filename extension is used to indicate a compiled text front?
In AutoCAD, the TXT filename extension is used to indicate a compiled text front. Like other file formats, the TXT file extension is an elementary one against the backdrop of the design application.
19) Is AutoCAD mobile app free?
Yes, you can get the AutoCAD mobile app free version to download and use. You can enjoy a free 7-day trial with unrestricted access to all the premium drawing, drafting, and editing tools. For unlimited premium features, you can buy the AutoCAD mobile app premium version by paying a fee annually from its official website: https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-mobile/overview?term=1-YEAR
20) Is there any free version of AutoCAD for students?
Autodesk offers a free educational version for students and teachers. This version runs on up to two personal devices for three years, absolutely free. Let's see how you can access the free educational version of AutoCAD.
For Educational Version
For Full Version
21) What are the features corrected by AutoCAD?
AutoCAD detects the difficulty and corrects it by resolving the problems with the illustration parts. With the available option of adding extra vertices, it also adds vertices to the poly-lines. Therefore, we can correct or neglect the errors by finding out the exact location of the poly-line with zero vertices. Furthermore, we can delete or remove the objects if there is no use for them later in the system.
22) How can you set up a default drawing directory in AutoCAD?
In AutoCAD, the default drawing directory has sub-directories containing the windows commands. The applications, which will be used, are highlighted, and we can use drag and drop features to place those applications in the default directory. We have to select the properties for the application from the menu and display the dialog boxes on the front.
23) What are the steps used to replace the buttons on the Toolbars with Smiley?
AutoCAD has button icons in the toolbar and toolboxes that can be replaced with the smiley. It provides the buttons for the template files that you can edit after customizing the toolbars. The template files provide the changes that can cause the menu resources and create files according to the requirements.
Follow the steps given below to use smiley instead of the buttons:
24) How can you copy a closed drawing in AutoCAD?
We can copy a closed drawing by using the designer center in AutoCAD's toolbar. We can also use the tree view option to copy the closed drawing easily. To make any modification in the drawing, we can use a graphical interface.
25) What do you understand by a cross-hair cursor?
A cross-hair cursor is a form of the cursor that contains a horizontal line and a vertical line intersecting at their midpoints. It is generally used in a charting tool that allows us to locate exact points on a chart. For example, you can use it to find the precise point on a line chart or a Point & Figure chart and view data corresponding to that point.
26) What is the use of the MIRROR command?
The MIRROR command is used to make a copy of a selected object and flip the copy around a specified line to produce a reciprocal image of that selected object.
27) What is the graphics window in AutoCAD?
The graphics window can be defined as the appearance of your screen when you run the AutoCAD software. It contains the drawing area, surrounding toolbars, menu bars, the command window, and the status bar.
28) How can you assign the keyboard characters or function keys to AutoCAD commands?
We can easily assign the keyboard characters to AutoCAD commands by editing the ACCELERATORS section of the AutoCAD menu file.
29) What do you understand by hatch patterns?
A pattern of lines, dots, and other shapes that fill in a closed area is called hatch patterns.
30) What is an object snap mode?
A set of tools precisely picking strategic points on an object, including endpoint, midpoint, center, and so on, are called object snap mode. It is also called osnap.
31) What is the method to open a drawing file created with the automatic save features?
AutoCAD files are saved with an extension of ".dwg" and will only open those files having this extension. To open the drawing files, you have to rename them by using Explorer or DOS prompt. If you are using EXPLORER, you have to make sure that the option of "Hide file extensions for known file types" is not enabled. After copying the file, you can rename and use the OPEN command to open the saved drawings.
32) Which command is used to rotate the grid at 45 degrees in AutoCAD?
In AutoCAD, the UCS command is used to rotate the grid at 45 degrees.
33) What will you do when command prompts appear on the command line instead of the ASE dialog box and plot dialog box?
In AutoCAD, the CMDDIA variables are used to control the display of dialog boxes. To enable these dialog boxes, we have to set CMDDIA to 1.
34) Which polygon command cannot draw shapes?
We cannot draw a rectangle by using the polygon command.
35) In what situation a command prompt appears instead of a dialog box?
In AutoCAD, if a file command is imported from a script or AutoLISP/ ObjectARX/ ADSRX, a command prompt appears instead of a dialog box.
36) How many entity colors do the AutoCAD support?
AutoCAD supports the 255 entity colors.
37) Is there any way to assign the keyboard characters or function keys to the AutoCAD commands?
By editing the ACCELERATORS section of the AutoCAD menu file, we can assign the keyboard characters to the AutoCAD commands.
38) How can you make a spring, spiral, or screw thread?
We can use an AutoLISP routine such as spiral.1sp to make a spiral or screw thread. It will create a spiral path according to our needs. Then we can use the EXTRUDE command with a reference object, using the spiral as the path. Another way to do this is by using Mechanical Desktop (MDT) or Autosurf by using augmented lines as a path.
39) Why is AutoCAD WS more popular among mobile users?
AutoCAD WS is a platform that offers many options for mobile application developers like edit, view, and share. It also facilitates the mobile developers to share the application wherever they go. They can easily download and install it from anywhere globally and develop an application without facing any licensing problem. It also enables the users to save the file in any format and run the application on any platform with ease.
40) Which filename extension is used to indicate a compiled text front?
The TXT file extension is used to indicate a compiled text font in AutoCAD. Like other file formats, the TXT file extension is an elementary one against the backdrop of the design application.
1) Which of the following is the extension for the AutoCAD drawing file?
Answer: A: DWG is the extension used for AutoCAD drawing files.
2) What is the full form of AutoCAD?
Answer: A: "Automatic Computer Aided Design" is the correct answer.
3) Which of the following workspaces are available in AutoCAD?
Answer: D: All of the above workspaces are available in AutoCAD.
4) Which of the following AutoCAD objects cannot have a 3D (Z) thickness property applied to it?
Answer: MTEXT is the correct answer.
5) If you have just issued the HIDE command on a new 3D House Plan to see how the design looks, but find that all of the interior room labels are showing through your opaque walls, ruining the 3D effect. What will you do with the TEXT objects to fix this problem?
Answer: A: Assign a thickness of 0.001" to all TEXT" is the correct answer.
6) Which of the following is mainly used to measure the flood variability?
Answer: C: FFMI is used to measure the flood variability. FFMI stands for Flash Flood Magnitude Index.
7) Which AutoCAD command is used to determine the precise volume of a complex (or simple) 3D Solid part?
Answer: B: MASSPROP command is used to determine the precise volume of a complex (or simple) 3D Solid part.
8) Which of the following is used to obtain parallel lines, concentric circles, and parallel curves?
Answer: C: "Offset" is used to obtain parallel lines, concentric circles, and parallel curves.
9) What is the purpose of using the UCSICON command?
Answer: C: "Permit a user to control the placement and appearance of the icon to help you understand your orientation in the XYZ coordinate system" is the correct answer.
10) Which of the following is not the keyboard shortcut for AutoCAD?
Answer: A: "Alt + B" is not used as a keyboard shortcut for AutoCAD.
11) What is the primary purpose of the UCS (User Coordinate System)?
Answer: D: "It allows a user to draw on a specified 2D Plane in 3D space." is the correct answer.
12) Which of the following 3D AutoCAD command is used to determine if two parts (3D Solids) will fit together without any interference?
Answer: D: "INTERFERE" is the correct answer.
13) How long will a line from 0, 10 to 10, 10 be?
Answer: B: "10 units" is the correct answer.
14) Which key is used to get the properties palette in AutoCAD?
Answer: A: "Ctrl + 1" is used to get the properties palette in AutoCAD.
15) Which of these following objects will only draw flat on the current XY working plane and not allow 3D coordinate input (Z input)?
Answer: B,C,D: DONUT, CIRCLE, and PLINE can only draw flat on the current XY working plane and not 3D.
16) Which of the following methods can be used for stretching any object in AutoCAD?
Answer: C: The "Cross window selection method" is used to stretch any object in AutoCAD.
17) Which of the following command is used to draw a rectangle in AutoCAD?
Answer: C: The "REC" command is used to draw a rectangle in AutoCAD.
18) Suppose you have created an interesting new round object using REVSURF to revolve a complex curve around an axis. Now you see here only six faces around the perimeter, making it very rough looking. What variable do you change to correct this?
Answer: D: "Set SURFTAB1 to 18" is the right answer.
19) Which of the following command in AutoCAD is used to create multiple viewports in the layout?
Answer: B: The "VPORTS" command is used to create multiple viewports in the layout in AutoCAD.
20) The right-hand rule is used to determine the direction of which of the following axis?
Answer: C: The "Positive Z axis" is the correct answer.
21) Which of the following state grid is used to design perspective?
Answer: A: The "Isometric" state grid is used to design perspective.
22) In which plane in AutoCAD, all objects are drawn?
Answer: C: In AutoCAD, all objects are drawn in the "XY plane."
23) Which of the following is the best option to select the set of objects in a drawing?
Answer: C: "By a crossing window is drawn from right to left" is the correct answer.
24) What is the use of the world option of the UCS command?
Answer: A: It is used to return to the world coordinate system.
25) A polar array generates new objects in which of the following?
Answer: C: "In a circular pattern" is the correct answer.
26) What is the effect of scaling a material?
Answer: D "It makes the material either smaller or bigger" is the correct answer.
27) Which of the following object is best suited for a wireframe model?
Answer: C: "A wire shelving unit" is the correct answer.