Components of DBMS
DBMS stands for DataBase Management System. DBMS is a type of software by which we can save and retrieve the user's data with the security process. DBMS can manipulate the database with the help of a group of programs. The DBMS can accept the request from the operating system to supply the data. The DBMS also can accept the request to retrieve a large amount of data through the user and third-party software.
DBMS also give permission to the user to use the data according to their needs. The word "DBMS" contains information regarding the database program and the users. It also provides an interface between the user and the software. In this topic, we are going to discuss the various types of DBMS.
Components of DBMS
There are many components available in the DBMS. Each component has a significant task in the DBMS. A database environment is a collection of components that regulates the use of data, management, and a group of data. These components consist of people, the technique of Handel the database, data, hardware, software, etc. there are several components available for the DBMS. We are going to explain five main topics of the database below.
- Here the hardware means the physical part of the DBMS. Here the hardware includes output devices like a printer, monitor, etc., and storage devices like a hard disk.
- In DBMS, information hardware is the most important visible part. The equipment which is used for the visibility of the data is the printer, computer, scanner, etc. This equipment is used to capture the data and present the output to the user.
- With the help of hardware, the DBMS can access and update the database.
- The server can store a large amount of data, which can be shared with the help of the user's own system.
- The database can be run in any system that ranges from microcomputers to mainframe computers. And this database also provides an interface between the real worlds to the database.
- When we try to run any database software like MySQL, we can type any commands with the help of our keyboards, and RAM, ROM, and processor are part of our computer system.
- Software is the main component of the DBMS.
- Software is defined as the collection of programs that are used to instruct the computer about its work. The software consists of a set of procedures, programs, and routines associated with the computer system's operation and performance. Also, we can say that computer software is a set of instructions that is used to instruct the computer hardware for the operation of the computers.
- The software includes so many software like network software and operating software. The database software is used to access the database, and the database application performs the task.
- This software has the ability to understand the database accessing language and then convert these languages to real database commands and then execute the database.
- This is the main component as the total database operation works on a software or application. We can also be called as database software the wrapper of the whole physical database, which provides an easy interface for the user to store, update and delete the data from the database.
- Some examples of DBMS software include MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, dBase, FileMaker, Clipper, Foxpro, Microsoft Access, etc.
- The term data means the collection of any raw fact stored in the database. Here the data are any type of raw material from which meaningful information is generated.
- The database can store any form of data, such as structural data, non-structural data, and logical data.
- The structured data are highly specific in the database and have a structured format. But in the case of non-structural data, it is a collection of different types of data, and these data are stored in their native format.
- We also call the database the structure of the DBMS. With the help of the database, we can create and construct the DBMS. After the creation of the database, we can create, access, and update that database.
- The main reason behind discovering the database is to create and manage the data within the database.
- Data is the most important part of the DBMS. Here the database contains the actual data and metadata. Here metadata means data about data.
- For example, when the user stores the data in a database, some data, such as the size of the data, the name of the data, and some data related to the user, are stored within the database. These data are called metadata.
- The procedure is a type of general instruction or guidelines for the use of DBMS. This instruction includes how to set up the database, how to install the database, how to log in and log out of the database, how to manage the database, how to take a backup of the database, and how to generate the report of the database.
- In DBMS, with the help of procedure, we can validate the data, control the access and reduce the traffic between the server and the clients. The DBMS can offer better performance to extensive or complex business logic when the user follows all the procedures correctly.
- The main purpose of the procedure is to guide the user during the management and operation of the database.
- The procedure of the databases is so similar to the function of the database. The major difference between the database procedure and database function is that the database function acts the same as the SQL statement. In contrast, the database procedure is invoked using the CALL statement of the DBMS.
- Database procedures can be created in two ways in enterprise architecture. These two ways are as below.
- The individual object or the default object.
- The operations in a container.
5. Database Access Language
- Database Access Language is a simple language that allows users to write commands to perform the desired operations on the data that is stored in the database.
- Database Access Language is a language used to write commands to access, upsert, and delete data stored in a database.
- Users can write commands or query the database using Database Access Language before submitting them to the database for execution.
- Through utilizing the language, users can create new databases and tables, insert data and delete data.
- Examples of database languages are SQL (structured query language), My Access, Oracle, etc. A database language is comprised of two languages.
1. Data Definition Language(DDL):It is used to construct a database. DDL implements database schema at the physical, logical, and external levels.
The following commands serve as the base for all DDL commands:
2. Data Manipulation Language(DML): It is used to access a database. The DML provides the statements to retrieve, modify, insert and delete the data from the database.
The following commands serve as the base for all DML commands:
- EXPLAIN PLAN
- The people who control and manage the databases and perform different types of operations on the database in the DBMS.
- The people include database administrator, software developer, and End-user.
- Database administrator-database administrator is the one who manages the complete database management system. DBA takes care of the security of the DBMS, its availability, managing the license keys, managing user accounts and access, etc.
- Software developer- theThis user group is involved in developing and designing the parts of DBMS. They can handle massive quantities of data, modify and edit databases, design and develop new databases, and troubleshoot database issues.
- End user - These days, all modern web or mobile applications store user data. How do you think they do it? Yes, applications are programmed in such a way that they collect user data and store the data on a DBMS system running on their server. End users are the ones who store, retrieve, update and delete data.
- The users of the database can be classified into different groups.
- Native Users
- Online Users
- Sophisticated Users
- Specialized Users
- Application Users
- DBA - Database Administrator