What is the full form of ERNET
ERNET: Education and Research Network
ERNET stands for Education and Research Network. It is an autonomous scientific society under the administrative control of Ministry of Information Technology, Government of India. It is headquartered in New Delhi. As of September 2017, Dr. Neena Pahuja is the Director General of ERNET.
Its vision is to advance the Research and Education in India by developing advanced Networks, Applications and Services
- To provide the world class network infrastructure and connectivity to contribute to the growth of India's Research and Education sector and help them become efficient in their chosen field.
- To undertake research and development in Networking and its applications and develop the human resources in networking.
- To provide an advanced and reliable state-of-the-art Network Services to academic and research institutions in the country.
- To conduct research and development in the area of Data Communications and its applications.
- Development of human resources in the area of Networking through education, training etc.
- Design and implement the ICT projects for target users.
It provides four types of services which are as follows:
- Access Services
- Application Services
- Hosting Services
- Operations Support Services
- IT Consultancy and Project Management Services
- ERNET was started in 1986 by the Department of Electronics (DoE). It received funds from the Government of India and United Nations.
- It began as a multi protocol network with both TCP/IP and the OSI-IP protocol socks. However, since 1995, almost all traffic is carried over TCP/IP.
- UNDP has praised ERNET as one of the most successful programmes funded by it.
- The science community of India has appreciated the contribution of ERNET to infrastructure services as well as for R&D.
- In 1998, it became an autonomous scientific society, ERNET India.