GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. It is an entrance exam conducted annually for admission to various post graduate programs in science and technology in India. The exam is conducted and supervised jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology(IITs) on behalf of the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Department (HRD) Government of India. The name of IITs is IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, and IIT Roorkee.
It is usually conducted every year in the month of February. It is a single computer-based paper of three hours duration. The paper mainly tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidate in undergraduate(UG) subjects of engineering and post-graduate(PG) level subjects in Science. It reflects the relative performance of a candidate in a specific branch.
The candidates who passed the GATE examination successfully has got the GATE Score/Rank. The GATE score is valid for a maximum of three years. This Score/Rank is mandatory for admission into Master's programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture in IISc, IITs and other prestigious Institutes/Universities in India.
The GATE Score is also very useful in finding the prestigious jobs with attractive salary packages in many Public Secor Undertakings(PSUs) recruitments. The PSUs who uses GATE score for providing jobs includes BHEL, BARC, IOCL, NTPC, HPCL, Power Grid, NHPC, etc.
Type of Test
This is a computer-based standardized test having 3 hour of duration.
- The candidates appearing for GATE exam must be graduated from a recognized board or university or studying in the last year of the engineering course i.e. B.Tech, B.E. B. Arch etc.
- Master's degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates qualified by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (for example: AMIE, AMICE) as these are equivalent to B.E., B.Tech.
There is no upper age limit.
Subjects of Specialization
Following is the list of subjects in which GATE exam is conducted:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- It is conducted to get admission in post-graduate programs in engineering and science stream.
- It is a screening test for entry-level engineering jobs.
- GATE score is used by many PSUs for the recruitment of candidates, e.g. BARC, BHEL, HPCL, NTPC etc.
- It makes the candidates eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects.
- It helps identify potential engineers and assist them in choosing their areas of research to pursue.
Pattern of Question Paper
- All the GATE paper will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT).
- The GATE paper consists of both Multiple Choice (MCQ's) type and Numerical Answer type questions. For numerical answer type questions, the candidates have to enter a number by using a virtual keyboard.
- The MCQ's have 33% negative marking for wrong answers and there is no negative marking for the numerical answer type questions.
The syllabi for the exam in Engineering streams includes:
- General aptitude (Numerical & Verbal)-> 15 marks
- Engineering Mathematics-> 10 to 13 marks
- Technical subjects studied at B.Tech level-> 72 to 75 marks
Details of CS Topics asked Percentage wise
||% wise weightage
||Design and Analysis of Algorithm
||Programming and Data Structure
||Theory of Computation
||Computer Organization And Architecture
||Discrete Mathematics And Graph Theory
||Data Base Management System
CUT OFF MARKS IN GATE-2018
||Architecture and Planning
||Computer Science and Information Technology
||Electronics and Communication Engineering
||Ecology and Evolution
||Geology and Geophysics
||Production and Industrial Engineering
||Texttile Engineering and Fibre Science
GATE 2018 CS Set 3
GATE 2017 CS Set 1
GATE 2017 CS Set 2