How to find MAC address in Windows 10
Similarly asked questions
- How do I find my computer's MAC address Windows 10?
- How can I find the MAC address of my PC?
- How do I find my MAC address Windows 10 without CMD?
- How to find Ethernet MAC address windows 10?
Finding the MAC address of your PC is very easy. You can quickly identify the MAC address of your Windows 10 laptop by using the command prompt or the "network status and task" setting in the taskbar. In this article, we shall see the different methods of finding the MAC address of a PC. First, let's see some basic concepts of the MAC address.
What is the MAC address?
Every electronic device such as computers, laptops, smartphones, etc. that can connect to a network has a unique identification number or alphanumeric hardware identifier known as the media access control (MAC) address. The MAC address is embedded in the physical network adapter, such as Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. This is the reason why the MAC address is also called physical address. It is a necessary component, alongside the Internet Protocol (IP) address, for successful communication between devices inside a local network.
Why we need it?
There are many reasons to find out the MAC address of a computer. The network administrator of an organization always checks the MAC addresses of the connected computers within a network. Mac address is required when you want to filter out or remove some devices from your network. The router shows the list of connected devices by their MAC addresses, so you must know the MAC address of your device if you want to diagnose or resolve any computer network errors found.
Difference between a MAC address and an IP address
- MAC address is the permanent address of your device. It is also known as physical address, while the IP address is a dynamic address and can be changed depending on your location.
- The MAC address of your PC is used in the local network, while the IP address is used to identify network devices globally.
Find MAC address in Windows 10
There are many ways to find out the MAC address of your PC. Let's see the most used methods:
Method 1: Find Your MAC Address in Windows 10 by using Command Prompt
This is the quickest and easiest way to find the MAC address of your PC. Follow the steps given below:
- Type Command Prompt or cmd in Cortana Windows 10 search bar to open Command Prompt window. If you are using the older versions of Windows, right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt from the menu.
- Click on the above search result "Command Prompt" to open the command prompt. Type ipconfig /all on your command prompt window and press Enter button.
- After pressing the Enter button, this will show the all network configuration. Scroll down and go to your network adapter. The value next to "Physical Address" is your MAC address.
- Here, you can see the MAC address of your PC connected to a Wireless network.
Method 2: Find the MAC Address on Windows 10 using Network Connection Settings
If you don't want to use Command Prompt to see the MAC address, you can find the MAC Address in Windows 10 by looking at the details of your network adapter in Windows. Follow the steps given below:
- Type View network status and tasks in Cortana Windows 10 search bar and press the Enter button or click on the search result.
- You can also go to the above point by navigating to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Now, select your network collection and click on it.
- After clicking on the network connection, a new popup window will appear. Now, click on the "Details" button.
- After clicking on the "Details" button, a new popup window will appear where you can see all the details of a network connection. The value of the physical address in the "Network Connection Details" is the MAC address of your system. See the below image:
- By using this method, you can find all details of your network connection.
Method 3: Find your MAC address by accessing your taskbar
This is also a very simple way to find your PC's MAC address. Follow the steps given below:
- Go to your Windows 10 taskbar and click on the network icon (right side on the PC) on your PC. See the below image:
- Now, you will see the connection device on your PC. Click on the "Properties" option, and it will open your network's settings window.
- After clicking on properties, a new popup window will appear. Now, scroll down this popup window, and you will see your MAC address right next to "Physical address."
- Here, you can see the MAC address of your system along with other details of your network.