IBM Interview Questions
IBM (International Business Machines Corporation) is an American multinational innovation organization headquartered in Armonk, New York, United States, with activities in more than 170 nations. The organization started in 1911 as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (CTR) and was renamed "Universal Business Machines" in 1924.
Nicknamed Big Blue, IBM is one of 30 organizations incorporated into the Dow Jones Industrial Average and one of the world's biggest bosses, with (starting at 2017) more than 380,000 representatives. Known as "IBMers", IBM representatives have been granted five Nobel Prizes, six Turing Awards, ten National Medals of Technology and five National Medals of Science.
IBM India's Solution and Services span all major industries including Financial Services, healthcare, government automotive, telecommunication, and education amongst others.IBM holds numerous awards for its industry-leading employment practices and policies.
IBM Recruitment Process
IBM conducts 3-4 rounds to select fresher as Software Developer in their organization.
The Written round consists of three major sections namely number series, General Aptitude Test and English Assesment Test. For Number Series and General Aptitude Test, there is a time of 2.15 min. And for the English Assessment Test, the total time duration is 20 minutes. These both tests are objective and there is no timer for each question as in the 1st round.
Only those students are allowed to appear in this round who have passed the written round. There is no guide to tell which questions will be asked in this round but you can guess the types of questions. Questions can depend on the interview panel. Your basics must be strong to clear this round. You should be prepared with Data structures and Algorithms, DBMS, Operating System, Networking, OOPs concepts and at least a programming language of your choice. You must be prepared for the highlighted points of your resume.
Sometimes they asked HR Questions like:
Questions Asked in IBM:
IBM Aptitude Questions
1) If 20 men can construct a divider of 112 meters in length in 6 days, what length of a comparable divider can be worked by 25 men in 3 days?
Answer: C 70 Meters.
20 men in 6 days can build 112 meters
2) In a race of 600 meters, A can beat B by 60 meters and in a race of 500 meters; B can beat C by 50 meters. By what number of meters will A beat C in a race of 400 meters?
Answer: A 76 Meters
Let's assume A finishes the 600 m race in 60 sec, then
"in a race of 500 metres, B can beat C by 50 metres."
By how many will A beat C in a race of 400 metres?
3) On the off chance that the accumulated dividends on a specific total of cash for a long time at 10% for each annum be Rs. 993, what might be the basic intrigue?
Answer: D Rs. 900
Let P = Principal
4) What yearly portion will release an obligation of Rs. 4600 due in 4 years at 10% straightforward intrigue?
Answer: A 1000
Give the yearly portion a chance to be Rs.100. The principal portion will be paid one year from now i.e. 3 years before it is in reality due. The second portion will be paid a long time from now i.e. 2 years before it is in reality due.
5) A number whose fifth part expanded by 5 is equivalent to its fourth part lessened by 5, is
Answer: C 200.
X/5 + 5 = x/4 - 5
6) Two numbers are with the end goal that the proportion between them is 3:5, however in the event that each is expanded by 10, the proportion between them ends up 5:7. The numbers are
Answer: D 15, 25
NO. Are in the ratio of 3:5
7) A man pushes downstream 30 km and upstream 18 km, taking 5 hours each time. What is the speed of the stream (current)?
Answer: A 1.2 KM/HR
Let x=speed of boat and y=speed of current
8) A train 125 meter long is running at 50 km/hr. In what time will it pass a man running at 5 km/hr in a similar bearing in which the train is going?
Answer: B 10 sec.
Distance=125 meter speed=50-5=45km/hr=>45*5/18=12.5 m/s
9) A is twice as fast as B is thrice as fast as C. The journey covered by C in 42 minutes, what will be covered by A is
Answer: C 17 MIN.
B is thrice as fast as C
10) A can complete a work in 40 days and B in 28 days. In the event that A and B together take every necessary step, at that point roughly in how long will a similar function be finished?
Answer: C 16 days
A's 1day's work = 1/40
11) Teena is more youthful than Rani by 6 years. On the off chance that the proportion of their ages is 6:8, discover the time of Teena:
Answer: A 18 years
On the off chance that Rani Age is x, at that point Teena age is x-6,
12) A man purchases a book for Rs.29.50 and offers it for Rs 31.10. Discover his gain percent.
Answer: B 5.4%
So we have C.P. = 29.50
13) Think about the arrangement: 464, 232, 240, 120, ____, 64. What number should fill the clear?
Answer: B 128
This is a rotating division and arrangement: First, separate by 2, and after that include 8.
14) Look at the series: A4, __, C16, D32, E64. What number should fill the blank?
The letters Increase by 1; the numbers are duplicated by 2.
15) A quick typist can type some issue in 2 hours and a moderate typist can type the same in 3 hours. In the event that both kinds consolidate, in what amount of time will they wrap up?
The quick typist's work done in 1 hr = 1/2 The moderate typist's work done in 1 hr = 1/3 If they work to join, work is done in 1 hr = 1/2+1/3 = 5/6 So, the work will be finished in 6/5 hours. i.e., 1+1/5 hours = 1hr 12 min
16) Two trains running in inverse ways cross a man remaining on the stage in 27 seconds and 17 seconds separately and they cross each other in 23 seconds. The ratio of their speed is:
17) What is the aggregate of all numbers somewhere in the range of 100 and 1000 which are distinct by 14?
The number nearest to 100 which is more noteworthy than 100 and divisible by 14 is 112, which is the principal term of the arrangement which must be summed. The number nearest to 1000 which is under 1000 and distinct by 14 is 994, which is the last term of the arrangement. 112 + 126 + .... + 994 = 14(8+9+ ... + 71) = 35392
18) Gavaskar's average in his initial 50 innings was 50. After the 51st innings, his average was 51. What number of runs did he score in his 51st inning? (assuming that he lost his wicket in his 51st innings)
Answer: A 101
Add up to score after 50 innings = 50*50 = 2500 Total score after 51 innings = 51*51 = 2601. So, runs made in the 51st innings = 2601-2500 = 101 If he had not lost his wicket in his 51st innings, he would have scored an unbeaten 50 in his 51st innings.
19) I drove 60 km at 30 kmph and after that an extra 60 km at 50 km ph. Register my normal speed over my 120 km.
37 ½ km ph Solution: Time required for the initial 60 km = 120 min. The Time required for the second 60 km = 72 min. Add up to time required = 192 min Average speed = (60*120)/192 = 37 1/2
20) A can complete a specific work in a similar time in which B and C together can do it. In the event that A and B together could do it in 10 days and C alone in 50 days, at that point B alone could do it in.
21) A boat can go at a speed of 13 km/hr in still water. On the off chance that the speed of the stream is 4 km/hr, discover the time taken by the vessel to go 68 km downstream.
Speed downstream = (13 + 4) km/hr = 17 km/hr. Time taken to movement 68 km downstream = (68/17) hrs = 4 hrs
22) A, B, C are the partner in a business. During a specific year. A got 33% of the benefit. B got one-fourth of the benefit and C got the rest of the Rs. 5000. What amount of measure of cash did A get?
Lets expect Total benefit x
23) A man possesses 2/3 of the statistical surveying bureau business and offers 3/4 of his offers for Rs. 75000. What is the value of Business?
3/4 of his offer = 75000
24) From its total company, A business organization burned through Rs.20, 000 for publicizing, half of the rest of commissions and had Rs.6000 cleared out. What was its aggregate salary?
Let add up to salary is X
25) Nirmal and Kapil began a business contributing Rs. 9000 and Rs. 12000 separately. Following a half year, Kapil pulled back portion of his speculation. In the event that following a year, the aggregate benefit was Rs. 4600, what was Kapil's share initially?
Answer: A Rs. 2300
Nirmal: Kapil = 9000*12:(12000*6+6000*6) = 1:1
26) Anirudh, Harish, and Sahil put a sum of Rs.1, 35,000 in the proportion 5:6:4 Anirudh contributed has the capital for 8 months. Harish contributed for a half year and Sahil contributed for 4 months. On the off chance that they acquire a benefit of Rs.75, 900, then what is the offer of Sahil in the Profit?
Answer: A Rs.13200
Anirudh contribute for 8 months, Harish contributed for 6 and
27) A begins riding his bicycle at 10 am with a speed of 20kmph and B likewise begins at 10 am with a speed of 40kmph from a similar point in a similar way. Returns south at 12 o'clock and B turns north at 11 am. What will be the Distance between A and B at 2 pm?
Answer: B 160 km
At 12 O'clock, A cover 40km and on the opposite side B at 11 o clock cover 40km, again they went towards each other (which is really the separation between them), that is A needs to make a trip 2hr (From 12 to 2 at 20km/hr.) i.e. 2*20=40km and opposite side B needs to Travelled out 3hr (From 11 to 2 at 40km/hr.) i.e. 3*40=120Km.
At that point Then the total distance traveled by them is the Actual distance between them i.e. 40+120= 160Km (Ans.)
28) 60 liters of diesel is required to movement 600 km utilizing an 800 cc motor. In the event that the volume of diesel required to cover a separation changes specifically as the limit of the motor, at that point what number of liters of diesel is required to movement 800 km utilizing 1200 cc motor?
Answer: C 120 liters.
Let keep 800 cc steady and compute the measure of diesel for 800 km
29) If a person walks at 14 km/hr instead of 10 km/hr, he would have walked 20 km more. The actual distance traveled by him is:
Answer: A 50 km
Let the real separation voyaged be x km.
IBM Reasoning Questions
1) Choose the correct alternative that will continue the same pattern and fill in the blank spaces: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, (....)
2) Study the following information carefully and answer the given questions:
A word and number plan machine when given an info line of words and numbers adjusts them following a specific rule in each progression. The following is an illustration of input and rearrangement:
Input: going but for crept Te light sir
Step I: crawled going yet for Te light sir
Step II: crawled going light yet for Te sir
Step III: crawled going light yet for sir Te
As per the rules followed in the above steps, find out in each of the following questions the appropriate step for the given input.
If the V step of an input is 'more unadulterated delicate feline not all that sit at', what will be the II step?
The words are arranged according to the number of letters they have, each one in turn. The word with the most extreme number of letters is put first. On the off chance that two words have a similar number of letters, we go in sequential order course of action. We can't move backward.
3) (A) the predetermination of Asia will be formed by the triangular connection between the Asian countries, India, China, and Japan.
(B) India, China, and Japan which have enrolled a surprising development, in the course of the most recent decade specifically, has gone about as southern engine of development for the entire world.
Since the three nations are driving the monetary development of the entire world, they will shape the predetermination of Asia. Consequently, (B) is the reason and (An) is its impact.
Nobody can predict as to how long our country would take to contain the unfortunate and disastrous terrorist's activities. Assumptions:
I. It is impossible to put an end to terrorist activities.
II. Efforts to control the terrorist activities are on.
"'Music Loving Club' has announced a wide variety of programmers by the visiting musicians." - An advertisement.
I. A large number of people are interested to get entertainment through the programmers.
II. The artistes may attract a large number of audiences.
6) Pay is identified with benefit similarly as Ligno is identified with?
Use is the antonym of "Wage". Additionally, the antonym of Profit is Loss.
7) Event (A): Mr. X was murdered in the floods.
Event (B): It was raining intensely.
The given events are not related events as Mr. X was killed and where it was raining heavily may or may not be the same.
Abundance use of pesticides has brought about bugs creating insusceptibility. Subsequently, agriculturists are experiencing overwhelming misfortune in their harvests because of these resurgent bugs.
COURSE OF ACTION:
I. Farmers should quit utilizing pesticides.
II. Research must be done in creating crossover assortments which are extremely solid and can't be wrecked by bugs.
III. Agriculturists should quit developing harvests for quite a while.
The Strategy I and III are negative game-plan. Here the issue is with respect to bothers. As the game-plan II says in regards to the exploration which will create half breed assortments which are solid enough to battle against bugs, henceforth it takes after.
9) Blueberries cost more than strawberries.
Blueberries cost more than raspberries.
Raspberries cost more than the two strawberries and blueberries.
If the first two statements are true, then the third statement is
Because the first two statements are true, raspberries are the most expensive of the three.
10) 7 13 25 49 97 194 385. Find out the wrong number?
IBM English Questions
1) Marta needed to satisfy her ______ to the charge card organization before she could get a home loan.
Risk (n.) is an obligation or commitment; something for which one is liable
(Visionary, dreamer) is an antonym of the word pragmatist.
3) The well known Dr. Chandra (a)/is just dental practitioner (b)/in our town (c)/No mistake (d)
4) I don't concur ________ you on this point.
5) The Earth moves around the sun.
6) Do you imitate others?
7) There is n special case _________ this run the show.
8) The CEO's extensive cost accounts demonstrated she was a ______ high-roller with the organization's cash.
IBM Technical Interview Questions
1) What are the Semaphores?
Semaphore is a "procedure synchronization device" or variable or abstract data type which is used to control access to a common resource by multiple processes in a concurrent system such as a multitasking operating system.
It assigns two tasks:
It expresses that if there are numerous processes sharing the same variable, at that point different processes must hold up it until the point when the procedure in the basic area is finished, as the procedure in the basic segment is finished, it sends a flag to alternate procedure to enter the basic segment.
2) What is Synchronization?
Synchronization is the procedure by which Data Protection Manager (DPM) exchanges information changes from an ensured record server to a DPM server, and afterward applies the progressions to the copy of the secured information. DPM depends on synchronization to keep imitations synchronized with the ensured information on the document servers.
3) What is the virtual memory?
Virtual memory is a memory administration capacity of an OS that utilizes equipment and programming to enable a PC to make up for physical memory deficiencies by briefly exchanging information from irregular access memory (RAM) to plate stockpiling.
4) What are paging, faulting, and deadlock?
In PC working frameworks, paging is a memory administration by which, computer stores and recovers information from secondary storage for use in main memory. In this scheme, the operating system retrieves data from secondary storage in same-size blocks called paging.
Faulting: A page fault (now and then called #PF, PF or hard fault) is a sort of special case raised by PC equipment when a running system gets to a memory page that isn't right now mapped by the memory administration unit (MMU) into the virtual address space of a procedure.
Deadlock: A deadlock is a situation in which two computer programs sharing the same resource are effectively preventing each other from accessing the resource, resulting in both programs ceasing to function. The earliest computer operating systems ran only one program at a time procedure.
5) Evaluate a+=a+ ++a if a=20 initially.
a += a+ (++a) is the same as a = a + a + (++a) First thing that happens is that a++ will set a to 21, after that it will calculate: a = a + a + a; 21 + 21 + 21 = 63 so the result is 63.
6) What is Process Scheduling?
The procedure planning is the action of the procedure director that handles the expulsion of the running procedure from the CPU and the determination of another procedure based on a specific methodology.
Process planning is a fundamental piece of Multiprogramming working frameworks. Such working frameworks enable in excess of one procedure to be stacked into the executable memory at once and the stacked procedure shares the CPU utilizing time multiplexing.
7) Difference between Quick Sort and Merge Sort.
8) What is Base Class and Derived Class? How are these two interrelated?
Derivation (C++ only) Inheritance is implemented in C++ through the mechanism of derivation. Derivation allows you to derive a class, called a derived class, from another class, called a base class. In the declaration of a derived class, you list the base classes of the derived class.
9) What is the advantage of inheritance in OOPS??
The most frequent use of inheritance is for deriving classes using existing classes, which provides reusability. The existing classes remain unaltered. By reusability, the development time of software is reduced. The derived classes extend the properties of base classes to generate more dominant objects.
10) What is Procedural Programming?
Procedural programming is a programming paradigm that uses a linear or top-down approach. It relies on procedures or subroutines to perform computations.
Procedural programming is also known as imperative programming.
11) What is the Entry Control Loop?
A passage control circle checks the condition at the season of the section and if condition or articulation turns out to be genuine at that point control moves into the body of the circle. Such kind of circle controls passage to the circle that is the reason it is called the section control circle.
12) What is Variable Scope?
A scope is a region of the program and broadly speaking there are three places, where variables can be declared ? Inside a function or a block which is called local variables. In the definition of function parameters which is called formal parameters. Outside of all functions which are called global variables.
13) What is Dangling Else problem?
Dangling else is a problem happens when we utilize settled if. ... Here in the above case we really need to give the else provision to the external most if condition however it is considered for the deepest if condition .this is called dangling else problem.
14) What is the Condition of Deadlock?
Deadlock can exist if and only if 4 conditions hold simultaneously:
[p1, p2, , pn] such that p1 is waiting for p2, p2 for p3, and so on.
15) What does Object Oriented Database Management System (OODBMS)?
An object-oriented database management system (OODBMS) is a database management system that supports the creation and modeling of data as objects. OODBMS also includes support for classes of objects and the inheritance of class properties and incorporates methods, subclasses, and their objects.
Also called an object database management system (ODMS).
16) Difference between Structure and Union.
17) What is the purpose of 'SUDO' Command?
The reason for sudo is to execute the charge given to it with root benefits. The motivation behind su is to switch the present client setting. It is fundamentally an antecedent to sudo. On the off chance that no client name is determined for su, at that point it changes to root.
18) What is the String?
In programming, a string is a contiguous sequence of symbols or values, such as character strings (a sequence of characters)or a binary digits string(a string of binary values).
19) What is an Array? What is the Importance of an Array?
An array is a data structure that contains a group of elements. Regularly, these elements are of the same data type such as integer or string. Arrays are commonly used in the computer program to organized data so that a related set of values can be easily sorted or searched.
1. it is a better and convenient way of storing data of the same data type with the same size.
2. It allows users to store a number of elements in it.
20) What is the advantage and disadvantage of the stored procedure?
IBM HR Interview questions for Fresher
1) Tell me about yourself
My name is Arjun Kapoor. I am from Haryana. I have done Bachelor of Technology from the stream of Computer Science and Engineering. I did my academic project on updated technology like machine learning and data mining. I am good at Java and C programming language. As my family background is considered, we are 4 in number. My father is a sweet shop merchant, my mother is a homemaker and I have one sibling. My strength is that I am a self-learner & have a positive mind. My weakness is, I don't take rest until my work is finished.
2) Why should I hire you?
As fresher, I don't have any experience. If you hire me, it is a great opportunity for me to learn something new and achieve my goals. This is only possible if you hire me and I assure you that I will give my best to this company.
3) What is your Strength and Weakness?
Strength: I am Honest, Sincere, Responsible, and have positive Attitude.
Weakness: I don't take rest until my work finished.
4) Why do you want to work for our company?
It is a great honor for me to work in a reputed company likes yours because it is a great multinational company. It has many branches across the world. Employee satisfaction is good in your company. It's a good platform for me to improve my talent and enhance my skill and knowledge.
5) What is the difference between Confidence and Over-Confidence?
Confidence means I will win and Overconfidence means I will win at all the time.
6) What is the difference between Hard-work and Smart work?
Hard work is very necessary for your life because, without practice, you can?t be able to do smart work.
7) How do you feel about working night and weekends?
If the company needs me then I am ready to work at any time.
8) Can you work under Pressure?
Yes, it is a Great Honor for me to work in a presumed organization like yours on the grounds that it is an incredible multinational organization. It has numerous branches over the world. Worker fulfillment is great in your organization. It's a decent stage for me to stand my ability and upgrade my expertise and knowledge.
9) What is your goals?
My short term goal is to be a part of your company and my long-term goal is to be successful in every parameter of this company.
10) Would you lie for the company?
If my lie is for the company welfare, I can but it should not hurt others.
11) How much salary do you expect?
I can expect something which I can meet my expenses.
12) Where do you see yourself five years now?
I can see myself growing with this company and reaching a position where I become a valuable asset to this organization.
13) On the scale of one to ten, rate me as an interviewer.
Sir, you are more educated, more talented, more experienced than me I am not on a level to judge you.
14) Who has inspired you in your life and why?
My father is my inspiration because he still shows me the path from nothing to everything. He always guides me to achieve success in every matter of my life. He is also my best friend because he even suggested to me as a friend when I make a mistake.
Click here for: HR Interview Questions and Answers