The major features of JFreeChart library are:
- JFreeChart is distributed with complete source code. It is distributed under GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), which permits its usage in commercial applications without any cost.
- It consists of a consistent and well-documented API, supporting a wide range of chart types.
- JFreeChart powerful library provides a highly approachable API which enables developers who are new to JFreeChart to rapidly create elegant charts representing their data.
- It has a flexible design structure which is easy to extend, and targets both server-side and client-side applications.
- It supports for various output formats, including Swing and JavaFX components, image files such as PNG and JEPG, and vector graphics file formats such as PDF, EPS and SVG.
- It allows extensive customizations of charts.
- It also provides conversion of a chart to an image format or to basic HTML image maps.
- JFreeChart API (Application Programming Interface) supports many interactive features, such as tool tips and zooming.
- It is designed for use in applications, applets, servlets and JSP.
- JFreeChart provides chart mouse events (these can be used for drill-down charts, among other things).
- JFreeChart can be effectively incorporated in several development environments to render data-oriented charts.
- Java SE Swing-based applications, including applets.
- Java EE servlets and JavaServer Pages (JSP).
- Generated files in Portable Network Graphics (PNG) or JPEG format.
- Integration with iText to create PDFs.
- Integration with Batik to create SVG format.