Today, the whole world is struggling with new distress, Coronavirus, or Covid-19 disease, which is a newly discovered virus that has never been known before. It is spreading with very high speed between humans, and lakhs of people have been infected worldwide. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the epidemic to this disease on 11 March 2020 as it outbroke in approximately 114 countries, with more than 118,000 cases across the world. Now it has spread across 212 countries, including China, America, Italy, Iran, India, and many more, and approximately 3,741,276 are confirmed cases throughout the world.
As it is outbreaking so fast, we must be aware of the treatment for this disease. Before knowing the coronavirus treatment, let's understand what this virus is, how it is infecting the people, and what are the symptoms of this disease.
What is Coronavirus or Covid-19?
Coronavirus disease (Covid-19) is an infectious and dangerous disease caused by a newly identified novel coronavirus, which was firstly found in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.
Coronaviruses are the large family of viruses that cause illness starting from the common cold to severe diseases. The Coronavirus name is taken from the Latin word "corona," which means a crown, as it looks like a crown-shaped when seen by the microscope. The Covid-19 disease shows the common symptoms that include cough, fever, shortening in breathing, and it can be spread between people very fast.
How Coronavirus spreads
The Covid-19 is a new disease, and the researchers are still learning how it spreads. But from lots of updates, below are some key points that tell about the spreading of this virus:
- Spreads person to person: It is found that this virus spreads mainly from one person to another. Such as when people come in close contact with each other, by shaking hands, and by hugging each other.
- Air by Cough or Sneeze: If some infected person sneezes or coughs, then the respiratory droplets produce. These droplets can reach other people's mouth or nose by air if those people are near to the infected person.
- Contaminated Object: The novel coronavirus can remain alive for many hours on the non-living objects, such as plastic, metal, etc. If a person touches the surface of the affected object, it may be possible that the person also gets infected by this virus.
- Mass Gathering: This virus spreads very easily from a group of people.
What are the Symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms of the COVID-19 are very common, and it is one of the reasons that most of the people get late information even when they are infected. These symptoms may be seen 2-14 days after the exposure. The symptoms of this disease can range from mild to severe, and some people may not expose any of these symptoms. Below are symptoms of COVID-19:
- Dry Cough
- Breathing Difficulties
Other symptoms of COVID-19 are:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Joint Pain
Treatment for Coronavirus
As this disease is spreading so rapidly worldwide, we must have some treatment to apply some break on it. There are lakhs of Covid-19 patients who have severe disease, and desperately need a treatment for this. Unfortunately , as if now, we do not have any particular treatment or vaccine for this disease. People who are sick with this virus can be treated with supportive measures by treating the symptoms of the disease and based on their clinical condition. As per the various reports, the lab researchers and pharmaceuticals are trying their best to find a vaccine or proper treatment for this virus, but still, it may take some longer time, till that time we need to have patience and try to prevent from this virus.
The WHO has launched a global trial for the treatment of the novel coronavirus and named it SOLIDARITY, as to find out if anyone can treat this infectious disease. Still there is not any confirmed and successful treatment, but from all over the world, the pharmaceuticals and lab researchers are sprinting to find some vaccine or treatment for this disease using various technologies and ways.
The researchers are looking for some repurpose drugs that have already been used for other dangerous diseases rather than creating some new compound as it may take several years. They are also searching it from the unapproved drugs that have done well in animal studies in fight against two dangerous coronaviruses that cause severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).
The scientists across the world have proposed or suggested dozens of drug compounds, but WHO is looking for some promising therapies.
Some possible remedies suggested by scientists to put a brake on the COVID-19 epidemic are given below:
- Remdesivir: This compound was originally developed by Gilead Sciences for the treatment of Ebola and related viruses. It is a novel antivirus drug that found effective against various viruses, including SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, in the laboratory tests. This drug has first given to a COVID-19 patient in Washington, and according to the reports, he also improved the next day. It has also been tried on other patients as well, but still, no evidence can prove it as a completely safe and effective drug in the SOLIDARITY trial.
- Hydroxychloroquine + Chloroquine
These two drugs are also in the race, and the American president called this drug as the game-changer. These two drugs are used to treat malaria and other diseases. But according to the WHO, it has not been recommended to use in severe malaria as it has an issue of resistance. It is mostly suggested drug for now as it poses very few risks as compared to other new drugs, and as per the lab tests, it shows the effective results against the severe acute syndrome coronaviruses.
But according to other reports, there is very little evidence that can recommend the use of these two drugs to treat COVID-19 patients.
This combination product is used to control HIV infection by combining it with other HIV medications. It helps the immune system of the human body by decreasing HIV in our body. This combination of the drug may affect the protease of other viruses, and especially coronaviruses. According to the reports, this drug has not shown any benefit when treated on the severe COVID-19 adult patients, but as per the reports, the patients were so ill, and maybe the drug has given them so late.
- Ritonavir/lopinavir and interferon-beta
There is a combination of two antivirals with interferon-beta in the trail treatment of COVID-19.
The most attractive part of this combination is that these are widely available and could be prescribed immediately. But unfortunately, it has not shown any good result till now as no benefit was observed, and the use of interferon-beta might be risky on COVID -19 patients.
The good news for its treatment is that some people have recovered from this disease, and people with good immunity and mild Covid-19 can recover on their own. To stop the spread of this virus, we have only one solution, and that is prevention. Although lots of countries are working to find the vaccine or proper treatment for coronavirus, till that time, we need to prevent this disease. Below are some tips to prevent from the Covid-19, that we must follow:
- Social distancing: Social distancing is a prevention measure to control the spread of any virus by avoiding contact between the people who are infected from this, and those who are not. It also slows down the transmission of the virus in a community.
- Washing your hand: We can avoid this virus by washing our hand regularly after some interval with the soap or handwash. If this virus reaches our hands, then when we wash our hand with the soap, it dies immediately. Hence it will not be transmitted further, or even it will not be able to come inside our body.
- Do not touch your face: The coronavirus mostly enters our body through our mouth or eyes, so if we avoid touching our face, we can prevent ourselves from this virus.
- Increase your immunity: As lots of patients also have been recovered from this disease who have a great immune system to fight with this virus.
- Stay at home: Stay at home is the most powerful prevention from this disease, and lots of countries have done the lockdown in the entire nation for its prevention.
- Cover your mouth with a mask: As this virus enters from the mouth to body, it is very necessary to wear a mask always.
- Maintain at least 6 feet distance from people: We just need to avoid the close contact with the people and maintain a distance of approximately 6 feet from the people, and especially with the sick people.
Why the treatment for Covid-19 not found yet?
There are lots of reasons behind not getting the treatment for the Covid-19:
- Since it is a newly discovered virus that was not seen before in humans, and even there is not complete information about this virus.
- As we know, there are already other viruses of this coronavirus family and, "there has never been a successful human vaccine against any member of the coronavirus family," according to Benjamin Neuman, a virologist at Texas A&M University.
- This virus is so dangerous, so to make its vaccine for the treatment is also one of the very crucial tasks, as the vaccine has to be manufacturable and safe.
Top 50 Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infected Countries LIVE Update
| Saudi Arabia
| S. Korea
| Dominican Republic
| South Africa