Postman Intro to Collections
- Collection in Postman means a group of API requests that are already saved in the Postman and can be arranged into folders. Any number of folders can be created inside a collection.
- Putting similar requests into folders and collections helps the client in better organization and documentation of their requests.
- All the APIs requests can be stored and saved within a collection, and these collections can be shared amongst the team in the Postman workspace.
Advantages of creating collections
- Easy APIs import and export
A collection can be imported or exported. Thus it can save time for transferring the requests.
- Request categorization
Requests can be grouped into folders and collections for easy access.
- Passing data among requests
Scripts can be used to pass data between API requests.
- Running collections/folders.
You can run individual requests or folder or collection as a whole in the Postman.
- API documentation
Postman provides you an option to add a name and description to your request, folder, and collections.
- Building Test suits
Test scripts can be added to requests, and integration test suites can be built.
Setting any variable for collections will automatically apply the same to the folders generated under the collection and requests; thus, it saves time.