Top 50 PowerPoint Interview Question and Answer
There is a list of MS PowerPoint questions and answer frequently asked in most of the interviews. Many companies ask related questions in interviews. Let's see the following questions:
1) What is PowerPoint? Why is it used?
PowerPoint is a tool of Microsoft that is used to make presentations. It contains slides to present the data. With the help of MS PowerPoint tool, you can represent your idea or plan virtually using text, video, and images.
PowerPoint comes in MS Office Suite. It helps to represent the data in an attractive way by allowing the user to add text, image, graphics, audio, and video in it. You can call it a presentation program.
2) What do you understand by motion path in PowerPoint?
A motion path is a method of moving objects on a slide. PowerPoint allows its users to add motion to an object in the slide. You can add motion to an object from the Animation tab by selecting an object.
Basically, the motion path is a part of advanced animation that helps to take an object in a moving state. This object can be any text, image or graphics. When you add a motion to an object, it appears on click in different ways like in a circle, spin, or anything else.
3) How to protect a presentation by setting up a password on it?
Set a password on a file to which you want to protect. Follow the below steps to set a password:
File -> Info -> Protect Presentation -> Encrypt with Password
Note: This password is case-sensitive. If you lost or forget the password, file is not recoverable.
4) Which shortcut key is used to start and exit from the slideshow?
5) Can you insert an online video into a presentation? If yes, how?
Yes, we can insert a video from the device and also from online to a presentation. Follow the below step to insert a video:
Remember that - this online video will play in your presentation only when your computer system will be connected to the internet.
6) What do you understand by placeholder?
The areas enclosed by the dotted borders on the slides are called Placeholders. Simply, you can say that placeholder is the enclosed areas on the slide.
7) How do transitions help to make the presentation attractive?
MS PowerPoint offers several types of transitions, which makes the presentation attractive and effective. When you add a transition on a slide, the slide changes in a different way rather than simple.
Navigate to the Transition tab to get different transition options, such as split, fade, push, clock, dissolve and many more. Choose any of the transitions and apply them to the slide. You have to add transition on each slide individually.
You can use any number of transitions in a presentation. In a PowerPoint presentation, each slide can have a different transition.
8) What is a slide shorter view?
Slide Shorter View is a view to see the slides presentation in a shorter view. It allows the users to see all the slides in a single view. Slide Shorter View makes it easy for the users to sort and organize the slides in a sequence if they want to print their slides.
You can get this slide shorter view near the Reading View option in the toolbar section. Besides that, you can also get it at the bottom of the slide window on the taskbar or inside the View tab on the ribbon.
9) How to add a motion path?
A motion path is a part of advanced animation, used to take an object in moving state. This object can be any text, image or graphics. PowerPoint offers various types of motions, such as Circle, 4 Point Star, 6 Point Star, Hexagon, Funnel, Curvy Left, and many more. Motion Path comes under the advanced animation category.
Steps to add a motion path to an object:
Note: You have to select some object to enable the Animation option inside the Animation tab.
10) What do you understand by trigger in context of animation?
Trigger is an action or call it as an event that performs on the slides when clicked. It comes under the advanced animation category.
Navigate to Animation -> Advanced Animation group -> Trigger to initiate the trigger.
11) Is it possible to convert a presentation into a video? If Yes, How?
Yes, we can export a PowerPoint presentation into a video. MS PowerPoint allows the users to convert a presentation into different formats like PDF/XPS document, video document, Handout, and more. It also allows the users to export a presentation as a package presentation for CD.
Steps to convert PowerPoint presentation into a video:
12) What extension is used to save the PowerPoint file.
PowerPoint uses .ppt extension to save a presentation file. PPT is also an acronym for the PowerPoint presentation. It means that people usually call the PowerPoint presentation as PPT.
13) What does the PowerPoint environment contain?
A PowerPoint environment usually contains the Quick Access Toolbar, Ribbon at the top, Slides tab at the left of the screen, scroll bar at the right of the screen, Zoom Control and Slide View at the bottom.
14) What do you understand by Slide view?
Slide View is a view to see the presentation slides in four different modes, which are -
In PowerPoint, all four slide modes available at the bottom of PowerPoint.
15) What is the use of Zoom control?
Zoom control allows the users to zoom-in and zoom-out the slide. This zoom control shortcut option presents at the bottom of the PowerPoint and near the slide view.
Zoom Control has a range meter containing a range between 10 to 400. Usually, PowerPoint user Keeps this meter at 69% or 71% readability.
16) Tell us the simple steps to encrypt a PowerPoint file with a password?
Open the file which you want to make password protected.
Go to the File -> Info -> Protect Presentation -> Encrypt with password.
Enter the password and confirm password to set the password on the selected file.
Click on OK at last.
17) What is document inspector in PowerPoint presentation?
Document Inspector is an essential tool of MS PowerPoint. It removes certain hidden properties from the document that might be added automatically to the file.
18) What is a Live PowerPoint presentation?
The live Presentation feature is announced by Microsoft that is available only for PowerPoint on the web. This feature is used to share and present the presentation globally, connecting via internet. It is a free service to use by all, but you just have to login in Microsoft account.
If the presenter allows, the remote user can download the presentation as well.
19) Is Live presentation require any subscription?
To use the Live presentation feature of PowerPoint, the presenter must have Microsoft 365 subscription. However, the audience does not need to have a subscription of Microsoft 365.
Without having a Microsoft subscription, the audience can view the presentation on their devices using the Live presentation option. They can also read the subtitle in their preferred language. The audience can also provide the live reaction and feedback to the presenter through comments.
20) How to get start Live presentation in PowerPoint?
Live Presentation feature is announced by Microsoft that is available only for PowerPoint on the web. Presenter can add the audience by just sharing a direct link to them. It will show your presentation in real-time to the audience from a browser.
Steps to get start Live presentation:
21) In which version Live presentation added in MS PowerPoint?
Microsoft announced the Live presentation feature in MS PowerPoint 2013.
22) How to add a bookmark to a PowerPoint video?
Follow the below steps in PowerPoint to add a bookmark in a PowerPoint video:
23) How would you insert a logo that will appear in the same position on all the slides?
Insert the logo on the Slide master. So, the logo will appear in the same position on all the slides.
24) What is the use of notes pane?
The presenter uses notes pane to keep the supplement information during the presentation. It does not appear on the slide.
You will get the option of Notes at the bottom of the PowerPoint environment. If you want to add any note with a slide, go to that slide and click on Notes and write the note.
25) How to group multiple shapes in PowerPoint?
Grouping of shapes allows the user to move the multiple shapes together. When the multiple shapes are grouped, these are treated as a single shape. However, you can also move any shape individually inside the group shape.
By following few simple steps, you can group multiple shapes into one. Here, we have these steps:
26) Which view is best when the transition is applied on all slides?
Slide Shorter View is the best view to see the transition applied on all slides.
27) How can you create a new presentation?
PowerPoint allows the users to create a new presentation in three different ways. Here, we have -
28) What is the shortcut key used to insert a new slide between the current presentation?
Use Ctrl + M shortcut command to insert a new slide to the current presentation. It will add a new slide below the slide open currently.
29) Which object is used to hold text on the slide?
A placeholder is used to hold the text on the slide. It is a container that can hold text, image, graphics, table, video or audio clip, and anything you want to add into the slide.
You can edit, move, and resize a placeholder anywhere on the slide.
30) How is Slide Design different from Auto Content Wizard?
Slide Design is a simple design format of PowerPoint that does not provide any sample content. On the other side, Auto Content Wizard provides the sample content to its users.
31) Which shortcut command is used to open an existing document?
Ctrl + O is a shortcut command which is used to open an existing document in PowerPoint.
32) How to embed a chart of Excel to PowerPoint presentation?
By embedding the chart of Excel in your PowerPoint presentation, you can directly show the excel data here. So, the user does not require to create a table here to show the data. Follow the below steps to embed an Excel chart to PowerPoint presentation:
Note: Check the Link checkbox if you would like to reflect the changes here, made in the excel sheet. If you do not want to reflects the changes, do not mark the checkbox.
33) What is the purpose of embedding an Excel chart in a PowerPoint presentation?
By embedding the chart of Excel, you can represent your excel data in your PowerPoint presentation. So, you do not need to create the table specifically to show the excel data.
This feature also enables the users to Link the real-time changes to the presentation. Mark the Link checkbox on the popup window while embedding the excel chart. This will reflect the changes in the PowerPoint presentation that will be made in the excel sheet.
34) Can we customize the PowerPoint ribbon?
Yes, PowerPoint allows its users to customize the ribbon. You can add or remove any options from it.
35) How could you add Header/Footer in PowerPoint?
Steps to add Header/Footer to PowerPoint slide:
36) How to insert slide number on presentation?
Steps to insert slide number on PowerPoint slides:
37) What is the shortcut key for moving the control of mouse to the next panel of PowerPoint?
F6, the function key is used to move the mouse control to the next panel of the PowerPoint.
38) If someone does not have PowerPoint installed on their devices, how he/she could see that presentation?
In this scenario, save the PowerPoint presentation in another format like PDF, XPS, or export the presentation in video. Besides that, you can also use package presentation for CD.
All these methods do not require PowerPoint application.
39) How to insert a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation?
There are two ways to insert a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation:
40) What happens if you edit an image inserted in PowerPoint?
In case you edit an image inserted in PowerPoint, the original image will not change. Changes will only reflect for PowerPoint image; they will not reflect on the original image saved in your devices.
41) Which command is used to bring the user directly to the first slide of the presentation?
Hit Ctrl + Home command to directly take you to the first slide of the PowerPoint presentation.
42) Which command is used to directly take the user to the last slide of the presentation?
Hit Ctrl + End command to directly take you to the last slide of the PowerPoint presentation.
43) How to make an image in PowerPoint using different shapes?
Make an image (DFD, ERD, Flowchart) in PowerPoint by following few simple steps:
44) What is the advantage of making an image of multiple shapes?
When you make an image using different shapes of PowerPoint and then insert it in your presentation, the objects (shapes) of the diagram do not scatter on the slide. It shows more clarity in the diagram.
In case you need to copy and paste that diagram, the objects of the diagram will not disbalance.
45) What do you understand by the ordering of objects? Why did it need?
Ordering of objects requires when two or more objects overlap each other. You can change the ordering of objects in four ways:
Microsoft PowerPoint provides tools to change the ordering of objects. So, you can easily bring the object up or down to other objects without moving the object anywhere.
46) How could one change the ordering by the one level?
Ordering of objects requires when two or more objects overlap each other. Use to following steps to change the ordering by one level -
Note: By one click, you will get the object ordering by the one level up or down. You might need to click several times to get the exact ordering of the object.
47) Is it allowed to make a PDF of the PowerPoint presentation?
Yes, you can make the PDF of the PowerPoint presentation. PowerPoint allows the users to convert the PowerPoint slides to a PDF documents.
Follow the steps below to make PDF -
48) What term will be used when you hold the left key of the mouse on an object and move it on the slide.
Dragging. When one holds the left key of the mouse on an object and moves it on the PowerPoint slide, this action is called dragging.
49) Which slide contains the title and basic information about presenter and set a tone for the presentation?
Title slide contains the title and basic information about the presenter and presentation. It sets a tone for the presentation.
50) Can we apply the same transition on all slides in a PowerPoint presentation? If yes, how?
Yes, we can apply the same transition on all slides of a PowerPoint presentation. Follow the below step to see how to do that -
Press the F5 function key and check the transition is applied successfully on all slides.