Difference between Quarantine and Isolation
Quarantine and Isolation are the words that we have become familiar with since the year 2020. We have faced very alarming situations since the rise of COVID-19. The pandemic had begun in China and has spread worldwide. The first wave of COVID was somewhat under control. But the second wave is an alarming situation. Due to the second wave, many people have died, hospital beds are not available, there are no vaccines, and there is no oxygen. The death rates are increasing, and no one is able to do anything.
This is the only reason why the doctors are advising us to stay indoors and take care of ourselves. In this second wave, it has become all the more important to keep ourselves away from COVID. Well, there have been people who have suffered from COVID-19, and they have been advised to isolate themselves. Now, what is the meaning of quarantine and isolation? People feel that getting isolated or quarantined is the same thing. Well, it is not so. Both the terms have different meanings. But before discussing about the difference, let us first see the definition of the two terms.
When a person or an animal that has arrived from outside comes under the contact of infectious disease, they are placed in a particular area. This method of separating or placing people in a separate room or area is known as quarantine. When a disease infects a person, it can be contagious. Thus, quarantine is just a period of isolation experienced by a person who has been infected by a particular disease.
On the other hand, isolation is defined as a state where the person infected has to stay away from his/ her family till the disease has been cured. The person being isolated has to live at a separate place all alone so that the infection does not pass on to the others. Well, there is not much contrast between isolation and quarantine. But still, let us look at some of the key differences between them.
||Quarantine is defined as the situation in which the person who has come from outside is asked to stay at a separate place because of the infectious disease that he/ she carry with themselves.
||On the other hand, isolation is defined as the situation in which the person stays at a separate place till the disease has been cured.
||Quarantine is a period of isolation.
||Isolation means staying all alone in a different place.
||Quarantine is for people who have been exposed to the virus.
||Isolation is essential for the people who have been sick.
||People who have been in contact with infected people are advised to quarantine themselves. For instance, during the pandemic, anyone who has been in contact with the infected person is asked to quarantine themselves for 14 days.
||People who are infected with COVID-19 are advised to isolate themselves for at least 10 days. This must be done so that the symptoms are monitored, and the patient is provided with the medicines.
||People who are quarantined must not share their utensils with anyone.
||People under isolation must use disposables so that no one else catches the deadly virus.
||People who are quarantined have the choice of taking the vaccine (COVAXIN and Covishield). If they are not majorly infected, then they can skip the vaccine.
||People who have been isolated have to take both doses of vaccine in order to get better. It is important to take care of oneself when one has been infected with a deadly virus.
||People can either quarantine themselves in hospitals or at homes. We have seen that people getting in touch with the infected people are advised to stay at home as the situation is worse in hospitals.
||In hospitals, isolating the patients has become routine work for all the doctors.
So, these are the major differences between isolation and quarantine. Well, it is important to note that people who have been exposed or infected must take care of themselves. There are certain guidelines provided by the government to take care of oneself and cure the disease at home if it is in the early stages. So, let us look at some of the guidelines provided by the government.
Guidelines of the Government and Home Remedies
- The common sign of COVID-19 is having fever, cough, flu, sore throat, etc. If the situation is not worse, then one can take standard medicines to cure them.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for 20-30 seconds after touching a contaminated surface, after eating your meal, etc.
- Use a sanitizer that has an alcohol percentage of 70% or more. When you are not able to wash your hands, use sanitizer to keep your hands safe from germs.
- Do not touch your lips, eyes, nose with unwashed hands.
- Avoid contact with people who are infected. If you have been exposed, then it is advised to stay quarantined for at least 14 days in your home.
- Take necessary precautions if you are exposed to the virus, like washing hands, eating in disposables, staying at a separate place, etc.
- Maintain a three to four metre distance among people.
- People who are coughing or sneezing must use a tissue.
- In case if you have taken COVAXIN, then do not step outside for at least 14 days as the immunity decreases after taking the injection. It is so because the antibodies will be generated after a time period of 14 days. Therefore, it is important to stay indoors for two weeks after taking the vaccine.
- Drink hot water and bathe with hot water as well.
- Drink milk having turmeric, cloves, etc.
- Wear a mask. If you suspect that you have COVID, then wear a mask even when you are isolated.
- Cover yourself with a cloth while going outside for work.
- Take care of children and elderly people.
- Do not fast as it may lower your immunity for a day.
- Eat fruits having citrus acid like orange, lemon, etc.
- Drink herbal tea. Replace sugar with jaggery in your food.
- Do breathing exercises, yoga, meditation, etc.
So, these are some guidelines provided by the government and some home remedies in order to keep yourself safe from COVID. It is important to take care of oneself whether one has been infected or not. One must try to increase their immunity by following the above-mentioned guidelines. This is an alarming situation, and we must try to help others and keep ourselves safe at the same time. Try to stay indoors as much as possible so that you are not exposed to the virus. Thus, in order to keep oneself safe, it is essential to follow the rules are regulations generated by the government.