React Native vs. Ionic
Tabular Comparison between React Native vs Ionic:
||Learn once, write anywhere
||Write once, run anywhere
|Nature of apps
||Native - like and elegant user interfaces across the platforms
||Using a single code base, you can develop an app for iOS, Android, Windows, Web, Desktop
|Reusability of code
||The platform-specific code needs to be changed
||Optimum reusability of code
||Closer native look and comparatively faster
||Slower than React Native due to WebView
||Need a real mobile device or emulator to test the code
||Using any browser, the code can be tested
||A steep learning curve
||An easy learning curve due to web technologies, Angular, and TypeScript
|Community and Support
||Strong and Stable
||Strong and Stable
||Android, iOS, UWP (Universal Windows Platform), and PWA
||Facebook, Instagram, UberEATS
||justWatch, Untappd, Cryptochange, Nationwide, Pacifica
Advantage of React Native:
- It has the maximum code reusability to develop apps for iOS and Android platforms.
- It has a stable and maintained platform to develop large projects.
- Rapid development with an efficient code structure
- It has broad community and platform-independent code.
Challenges of React Native:
- There is a need for native development skills.
- Lack of custom modules.
- As it is backed by Facebook, we need to follow licensing rules.
Advantage of Ionic
- It is free and open-source.
- Easy to learn with built-in components.
- Clear and updated documentation.
- It builds apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Desktop, Web, and PWA.
- It has rich pre-styled component and great community support.
- Rapid development testing cycle.
Drawbacks of Using Ionic
- It has slow performance.
- It requires Apache Cordova plugins to access the device's hardware functionality.
- It uses WebView to deliver a native-like experience.
What Should I Choose React Native or Ionic?
There are many factors we can consider, such as features, cost, requirements, team size, time, and platforms while deciding the best framework. Both frameworks serve a different purpose; choosing any of them is an easy task.
If you want excellent performance with low on budget, you can go for Ionic.
React Native is used for native-felling apps, which are higher cost than the Ionic.