Shift reduce parsing
- Shift reduce parsing is a process of reducing a string to the start symbol of a grammar.
- Shift reduce parsing uses a stack to hold the grammar and an input tape to hold the string.
- Sift reduce parsing performs the two actions: shift and reduce. That's why it is known as shift reduces parsing.
- At the shift action, the current symbol in the input string is pushed to a stack.
- At each reduction, the symbols will replaced by the non-terminals. The symbol is the right side of the production and non-terminal is the left side of the production.
There are two main categories of shift reduce parsing as follows:
- Operator-Precedence Parsing