- When the target program executes then it runs in its own logical address space in which the value of each program has a location.
- The logical address space is shared among the compiler, operating system and target machine for management and organization. The operating system is used to map the logical address into physical address which is usually spread throughout the memory.
Subdivision of Run-time Memory:
- Runtime storage comes into blocks, where a byte is used to show the smallest unit of addressable memory. Using the four bytes a machine word can form. Object of multibyte is stored in consecutive bytes and gives the first byte address.
- Run-time storage can be subdivide to hold the different components of an executing program:
- Generated executable code
- Static data objects
- Dynamic data-object- heap
- Automatic data objects- stack