Top 10 Engineering Colleges In Tamil Nadu
Engineering is a science and profession that involves the use of technical and scientific knowledge as well as natural laws and physical resources. It helps in developing and implementing materials, structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that securely achieve a stated goal. Engineering is a big and dynamic field with limitless specialization options. Engineering technology has energized every sector of the modern economy.
Engineering is organized into a wide range of specializations, including:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Tamil Nadu is one of the most well-educated states in India. In 2011, the state's literacy rate was 80.33 percent, higher than the national average. In Tamil Nadu, 52 engineering institutes provide full-time and distance-learning programs to a large number of students. Here, the list of the top 10 engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu is given:
1. IIT Madras- Indian Institute of Technology
The Indian Institute of Technology Madras (or IITM) is a public technical and research university in Madras, India. It was established in 1959 and is known as an "Institute of Eminence."
- It is the third self-contained IIT created by the Indian government. IITMR, India's first university-based research park, is located on the campus of IIT Madras in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- NIRF ranked IIT Madras first in 2020 for the second year in a row.
- In the 2020 QS World University Rankings, IIT Madras was placed 271 globally.
- Like its other IITs, IIT Madras is designated as an "Institute of National Importance" and is known around the world for its high-quality education and skilled professors.
Aerospace, Electrical, Civil, Mechanical, Computer Science, Physics, and a Center for Continuing Education are among the 17 departments available at IIT Madras. It also has four national research centers and ten institute research centers in various engineering and pure science fields.
- At IIT Madras, courses are separated into semesters, each comprising at least seventy instructional days.
- IIT Madras established the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning to improve the quality of higher education in India (NPTEL).
- Companies come for Placement: Microsoft, Texas Instruments, Bajaj Auto, and other top recruiters come to IIT Madras to recruit the students.
- Its flagship program, BTech, has a placement record of 90-95 percent per year, with an average CTC of Rs 15-20 LPA.
2. NIT Trichy- National Institute of Technology
The Tiruchirappalli National Institute of Technology, founded in 1964, is a government-run higher education and advanced research institution specializing in engineering and technology.
- It was founded as the Regional Engineering College and was one of the first institutes in the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) system.
- Its present name is NIT Trichy, which was changed in 2002.
- It has been designated as a national institution by the Central Government.
- Courses: 17 departments in the college provide undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields like engineering, management, humanities, and architecture.
3. VIT- Vellore Institute of Technology
Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT Vellore) is a deemed university in Tamil Nadu.
- According to the NIRF 2020 rankings, it was placed 15th, 16th, and 28th in the areas of 'Engineering,' 'University,' and 'Overall.'
- In The Times Higher Education World Ranking 2020, University was ranked 301 among the top 400 universities in the world for Computer Science.
- It was the first private institution to get the Indian government's ARIIA 2019 Award for 'Innovation.'
- University was in the top 3% of universities worldwide, according to the QS Global World Ranking.
Courses: Insitute offers 64 undergraduate, 35 postgraduate, 16 integrated, two Research, and MTech programs.
- The University has launched two new undergraduate programs, BTech CSE and BSc.
- According to the Limca Book of Records, the University has put the highest number of students in the IT business over the past seven years.
- VIT placements 2021: VIT successfully extended 1,630+ Dream and 650+ Super Dream offers.
- VIT Vellore students were also offered a total of 900 Dream Internships.
- VIT placements 2021 Highest Package: Rs 41.6 LPA.
- Students at Vellore Institute of Technology can also apply for scholarships based on their restricted category.
- Every year, students can participate in an exchange program.
4. School of Engineering, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
The Amrita School of Engineering was founded in Coimbatore in 1994.
- The college currently provides 120 courses (Technology, Health Science, Medicine, Ayurveda, Nursing, Pharmacy, Social Work, Education, and Nanoscience).
- The NAAC gave the institution an A rating.
- According to the NIRF rating, Amrita School of Engineering was placed 8th at the university level in 2019.
- College was ranked 601-800 in the World University Rankings 2020.
- The Emerging Economics Rankings 2020 list placed the institution as one of the top 100 developing economies.
- The University was placed 201-300 in the Influence Ranking of 2019 in its impact on the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals.
- The institution was ranked 164th in the ASIA University Rankings 2019.
5. College of Engineering Guindy, Anna University
The College of Engineering Guindy (CEG), founded in 1794 and affiliated with Anna University, is a public college. It is one of India's oldest technical institutes and is maintained by the government.
- CEG Guindy was ranked 14th in Engineering Colleges by NIRF 2020.
- It was also ranked 8th and 12th in Engineering by The Week and Outlook respectively in 2019.
- Six academics, 33 departments, and 12 research centers make up CEG Guindy a popular college. It offers nine undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral courses.
- CEG Gunidy has strong industry ties, excellent research practices, and a variety of extracurricular activities for students.
- CEG Guindy's campus is meticulously designed with all of the required amenities, such as a specialized computer center, library, health center, banking facilities, sports field, canteen, gym, swimming pool, and others.
- The cell's goal is to assist reserved-category students in obtaining financial aid and scholarships tailored to their needs. It also offers remedial coaching to help the students in improving their academic performance.
6. SRMIST- SRM Institute of Science and Technology
SRM Institute of Science and Technology is a top-ranked deemed-to-be university in the SRM Group of Institutions. It was established in 1985.
- SRMIST is a member of the AIU and is UGC-approved. It has received the highest 'A++' rating from the NAAC.
- By India Today Rankings 2020, SRM IST was placed 3rd in Engineering, 9th in Private Engineering, and 13th in BBA.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between SRM IST and Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University to conduct training and research.
- SRM IST has four campuses, one is located in Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu. The SRM IST Ramapuram and SRM IST Vadapalani campuses are located in Chennai. The fourth campus is in Delhi NCR that named SRM IST Ghaziabad.
- At the Kattankulathur site, SRM IST offers UG, PG, and Ph.D. courses, with over 50,000 students and over 2,600 faculty across all the campuses. MBA, BTech, MBBS, BA, BSc, Ph.D., and MPhil are popular courses.
7. SASTRA (Deemed to be University)
SASTRA Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology, and Research Academy, commonly known as Deemed to be University, is one of the most well-known deemed institutions in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu. Shanmugha College of Engineering was founded in 1984 and was designated as a deemed university on April 26, 2001, under Section 3 of the UGC Act of 1956.
- SASTRA The National Assessment and Accreditation Council have given an 'A+' rating to this Deemed to be University.
- The Institution of Engineers approved all of the University's BTech programs. SASTRA has received an 'A' grade from Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) Ltd.
- In 2018, the Times Higher Education Rankings placed SASTRA Deemed in the top 350 Asian universities.
- According to the QS University Rankings, it was ranked among the top 300 universities in the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) countries in the same year and among the top 400 institutions in Asia.
- SASTRA Deemed to be University offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in science, engineering, business, education, law, computer science, the arts, and various Ph.D. programs.
- SASTRA's 12 schools/centers provide undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programs in science, engineering, medicine, education, the arts, law, and management.
- The Technology Business Incubator at the university focuses on 3D printing, robots, and the Internet of Things (IoT).
SASTRA Deemed to be University is a 232-acre campus with more than 10,000 students and 700 staff members. The total built-up space is more than 2.2 lakh square meters, with state-of-the-art laboratories, a well-stocked library, a Central Computing Facility, playgrounds, and adequate student housing.
8. SSN College of Engineering
The SSN College of Engineering (SSNCE) is one of the SSN institutions affiliated with Anna University. Dr. Shiv Nadar, chairman of HCL Technologies, founded it.
- The institute provides 20 Engineering courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- SSNCE's Highest package is Rs 64 LPA in 2020, while the average package has increased to Rs 7.04 LPA.
- Over 200 recruiters came to the campus. With 275 faculty members, SSNCE has a professor-to-student ratio of 1:15.
9. PSGCT- PSG College of Technology
PSG College of Technology is an independent college supported by the government in Coimbatore. PSG College, founded in 1951 by the PSG & Sons Charities Trust, gained autonomy in 1978. It is an Anna University-affiliated institution that is ISO 9001:2015 certified, recognized by the AICTE, and NAAC-accredited with an 'A' Grade and NBA recognition.
- The university provides 63 full-time and part-time undergraduate, graduate, certificate, and doctoral programs in 26 departments, encompassing a wide range of areas such as Science, Engineering, Technology, Computer Applications, Management, etc.
- The college accepts TNEA test scores for BE/ BTech programs; ME/ MTech on GATE and TANCET exams followed by TANCA Counselling; and Ph.D. admissions on GATE/ NET/ JRF/ PSGCT Entrance Exam scores.
- College was ranked 49 in the Engineering category by the NIRF Rankings 2020, 9th among Engineering colleges in India by India Today, and ranked 301-350 in the Asia University Ranking 2018 by Times Higher Education.
- PSGCT offers several merits- and need-based scholarships to students. The institution has signed 43 Memorandums of Understanding with government and corporate organizations, research institutes, and universities for various research initiatives.
- The institution also provides international internships. For this, the University has a tie-up with the University of Leeds in the United Kingdom, the University of Florida in the United States, and LAPP in Germany.
10. Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology
The Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, often known as the Sathyabama Institute is a Christian minority-serving deemed-to-be university in Chennai. In 1987, it was founded as the Sathyabama Engineering College, and in 2001, it was awarded the status of a deemed-to-be university.
- Sathyabama has been designated as a Category-A university by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). The NAAC A-Grade and the NBA also accredit it.
- Courses: They offer over 70 undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctorate programs in Engineering, Arts, Science, Humanities, Law, Business Administration, Nursing, Pharmacy, Allied Health Sciences, Dental Sciences, Design, and Architecture.
- Normal degree programs are also available at the Institution.
- Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology maintains collaborations and partnerships with various organizations for academic and research purposes.
- Merit-based scholarships are available to students enrolled in a range of programs.
- Campus placements firms: Amazon, IBM, Cognizant, Capgemini, TCS, and many more.