What is Heroku used for?
Suppose we have a project idea in our mind to run the business. When we present this idea in front of people, we get different questions about our project. For example, managing the infrastructure, storage, networking, monitoring, etc. To manage all these queries, Heroku was launched. Let us have some information about what Heroku is and its uses.
Heroku is a fully managed, contained-based PAAS(Platform as a service). When developers use Heroku, they get relief because they are not distracted from maintaining servers, hardware, and infrastructure. Heroku gives all the services, support, and workflow, which increases the developer's productivity as there is only a need that remains is to focus on the core product. The platform of Heroku is elegant, easy, and manageable. It also offers the most straightforward path to reach their apps to the market.
The primary use of Heroku is to develop, manage and scale modern applications.
Characteristics of Heroku
The following are the characteristics of Heroku -
- High productivity of developers - Heroku delivers a high order value by giving a set of capabilities. We do not need to focus on network management, the latest version of the database, server configurations. Heroku does not give any obstacles so that developers can focus on the best building.
- The best design - Everything in Heroku is very meticulously defined, from capabilities to tools to workflows that maximize the output. The design is so user-friendly a novice can understand it and start working on Heroku. Also, the tool guide is in easy words and very understandable.
- Developer experience - Some developers work with new and critical ideas. Heroku secures them. It makes app development more than just a job by rewarding experience and bringing out the best work. Heroku experiences more than 26 billion requests every day and three lakh requests in a second.
Advantages of Heroku
The following are the advantages of Heroku -
- Heroku provides high flexibility that supports unique workflow needs for DevOps
- Developers focus on core rather than infrastructure
- Heroku provides a secure connection to salesforce data that build a single view of the customer
- A single bill generates for all projects
- Heroku gives a medium learning curve with the best-in-class developer experience.
- It creates a unified dashboard for developers, QA, and stakeholders.
- High-performance and support modern programming languages
- Have a powerful CLI and a bunch of supportive tools
- Heroku offers no downtime during system updates
- Heroku have a rich application monitoring and have vertical stability
- Heroku team is available 24X7 for help
- It is very beginner and startup-friendly and allows the creation of a server in 10 seconds by using Heroku CLI.
- It can be easily integrated with AWS products.
Disadvantages of Heroku
The following are the disadvantages of Heroku -
- It is not best suited for heavy computing objects
- Limited instances with high inbound and outbound latency
- No other service can be run on dynos
- Sometimes dynos are not reachable due to various reasons
- If we need additional dynos, we have to pay $35 for a month which is quite costly.
- It is expensive for apps that have high traffic on them.