Difference between Yogurt and Curd
We all eat curd and yogurt as soon as the summer season arrives. Mangoes, curd, yogurt, etc., become our favourite things to eat in summers. But most of us have eaten curd majorly because our mothers used to prepare it. The best thing about curd is that it can be easily prepared at home in a day, and many delicious snacks can be made out of the curd. We have often felt that curd and yogurt are the same. The only difference is that curd is prepared at home while yogurt comes in a packing. Well, it is not so.
Curd is defined as the substance that is formed when the milk becomes sour. Curd is a dairy product. Cheese can also be made with this. Different people have different ways to prepare curd. Some people use acid (lactic acid or lemon juice) to make curd. This kind of curd in India is known as ?chhena.
On the other hand, yogurt is made with the help of fermented milk along with some good bacteria. Yogurt is sweetened with the help of fruits. Yogurt is available in several flavours. In India, yogurt is called as ?mishti doi? or ?meethi dahi.? Different countries have different types and flavours of yogurt. Now, you must be wondering as to what are the essential points of contrast between yogurt and curd. Let us discuss about them.
||Yogurt is defined as a soft substance that is prepared with the help of fermented milk and good bacteria.
||On the other hand, the curd is also a soft substance that is prepared with sour milk.
||Yogurt is prepared through a process called the cuddling technique. In this method, a good bacterium is added to lactose in order to make it the lactic acid. The fermented milk thickens, and the yogurt is prepared out of it.
||In order to prepare the curd, the milk is heated at a temperature of 40 degrees, and then a small amount of curd is added to the heated milk and is left overnight to grow. This process is known as fermentation.
||Yogurt is prepared from the following elements:
- Soy Milk
- Coconut Milk
- Nut Milk
- Almond Milk
- Animal?s Milk like milk from goat, buffalo, cows, camel, and yaks.
|Curd is prepared from the milk of animals such as camel, goat, yak, buffalo, and cow.
||The protein content in yogurt is less than curd. For instance, in 100 grams of yogurt contain three grams of protein.
||The protein content of curd is more. For instance, 100 grams of curd contains 11 grams of protein.
||Yogurt can vary in taste. It can be tangy, sour, or sweet.
||Curd is sour in taste, but it can be sweetened by added sugar in it.
||The calorie count is less in yogurt. For instance, 100 grams of yogurt has 60 calories in it.
||The calorie count is more in curd. For instance, 100 grams of curd contains 98 calories in it.
||Yogurt helps in neutralizing the heat that has been produced under different scenarios like spicy food or playing. Yogurt is a suitable medium for undertaking nutrients in the body.
||Curd contains nutrients like potassium, phosphorous, calcium, protein, vitamin B12, etc. These nutrients are essential for strengthening bone health.
||Yogurt helps in maintaining digestive health as it contains good bacteria like lactobacillus and bifid bacteria.
||Curd has some good cholesterol that helps in normalizing the blood pressure.
||Yogurt is considered as an industrial product.
||On the other hand, the curd is a homemade product.
||Some forms of yogurt include fruit flavoured yogurt, swiss-style yogurt, etc.
||Different forms of curd include lassi, chaas, and buttermilk (matha).
So, these are some fundamental points of contrast between yogurt and curd. Both curd and yogurt have immense benefits on health. Both curd and yogurt can be eaten by people who are lactose intolerant. Now, let us look at some of the benefits of yogurt and curd.
Benefits of Yogurt:
- Nutrients: Yogurt is rich in many nutrients like calcium which is good for bones and teeth. Yogurt also contains Vitamin B12 that helps people in getting rid of chronic heart diseases. Along with that, it also contains potassium, phosphorous, and magnesium that help in strengthening the metabolism.
- Protein: Yogurt is high in protein that helps in increasing energy. Having protein is very important as it helps in increasing the production of various hormones. Proteins in yogurt also help in weight loss. It is advised to eat Greek yogurt as it is rich in proteins and helps in losing weight.
- Digestive Health: Some yogurts contain probiotics that help in improving digestion. Such yogurts help in fighting gastrointestinal diseases like constipation, diarrhea, and bloating.
- Immune System: Yogurts help in strengthening the immune system, which will result in less sickness or diseases. Yogurts that contain probiotics must be consumed by people. Magnesium, zinc, selenium, and vitamin D are also present in such yogurts that boost the immune system.
- Heart Health: Yogurts contain unsaturated fats that help in fighting chronic ailments. They also help in reducing blood pressure.
So, these are some of the benefits of eating yogurt. It is important to note that yogurt cannot be consumed by everyone. People who milk allergies cannot have yogurt. Moreover, some yogurts have added sugar that may result in diabetes and obesity. One has to choose which yogurt is best for them.
Benefits of Curd:
- Digestion: Curd helps in improving digestive health. Intestinal infections are less in people who consume curd on a daily basis.
- Glowing skin: Curd helps in moisturizing the skin that helps in healing dry skin, thereby giving a radiant glow. Curd helps in fighting early signs of ageing.
- Blood Pressure: Curd helps in reducing the blood pressure that in turn helps people in fighting several heart diseases. Curd also helps in lowering the risk of hypertension.
- Bone Health: Eating curd on a daily basis helps in strengthening bone health. Curd contains calcium that is a good source of developing good bone health.
So, these are some benefits of eating curd. It is advisable to eat curd or yogurt on a daily basis as it helps in preventing dehydration. Due to dehydration, many disorders occur in the body. So, it is suggested to have curd or yogurt on a daily basis. It is interesting to note that both have several benefits and contain a lot of nutrients and minerals. These minerals help in boosting the energy in the body. Thus, in order to keep the body rid of diseases, eating yogurt or curd is necessary.