Agile Release Planning
The primary purpose of release planning is to make a plan to deliver an increment to the product. It is done in the interval of every 2 to 3 months.
Who is involved in releasing the plan?
Following person are involved in product releasing plan- Scrum Master, Product Owner, Agile Development Team, Stakeholders.
- Scrum Master: The Scrum Master is a team leader and facility provider who helps the team member to follow agile practices so that they can meet their commitments and customers requirements.
- Product Owner: The Product Owner is one who runs the product from a business perspective. He defines the requirements and prioritizes their values.
- Agile Development Team: Agile development team provides the judgment on the technical feasibilities or any dependencies.
- Stakeholders: Stakeholders are the customers, subject matter, program manager act as advisers in decisions which are made around the release planning.
Prerequisites of Planning:
The prerequisites of release planning are as follows:
- A Product Owner manages the ranked product backlog. While releasing the product, the Product owner feels to include five to ten features at the period of product release.
- High- level vision
- Market and Business objective
- Team's input according to capabilities, known velocity, or about any technical challenge.
- Acknowledged about the new product backlog items are needed
The list of materials that is required for the releasing planning is as follows:
- Flip charts, markers, whiteboards/li>
- Posted agenda, purpose/li>
- Projector for sharing the data/tools of computers required during a planning meeting/li>
- Planning data
The list of data needed during release planning are as follow:
- Previous iteration data or release planning requests
- Actions plans of previous release/iteration
- Features or defects to be considered
- Organizational and personal calendars
- Velocity from previous releases/ estimates
Following are the output of a release planning:
- Release plan
- Issues, dependencies, concerns, and assumptions which are to be monitored
- It suggests improving future release planning
- Opening ceremony: Welcome message, review purpose, organizing tools, and introduction to business sponsors.
- Product Vision and Roadmap: It shows a broad picture of the product.
- Review previous releases: Product planning agenda discussed on any item which can impact the plan.
- Product release name/theme: It inspects the current status of roadmap themes and makes the necessary adjustment if any.
- Issues and concerns: In the agenda, we check any concern or issue, and then record them.
- Review and Update the Definition of Done: Review the product build or definition of done and make appropriate changes based on technology.
- Retrospect: Require feedback from participants to make the meeting successful.
- Close: Celebrate success.