Difference between Baking Soda and Baking Powder
Baking Soda and Baking Powder are used for making various dishes. We have often seen our mothers working in the kitchen making delicious delicacies with the help of baking soda or baking powder. Now, what is baking soda and what is it used for making? Well, baking soda has many uses apart from cooking. It is used for making cakes, pastries, and other bakery products, etc. It is also used for cleaning the stains. Baking Soda is also called as Sodium Bicarbonate. It is a salt-based chemical that is used for various purposes like cooking, extinguisher, disinfectant, cleaning agent, odor control, etc. Apart from this, baking soda also has medical benefits.
On the other hand, baking powder is a much solid mixture than baking soda. Baking powder is also used for making bakery products like cakes, muffins, etc. Baking soda is majorly used to make a thick texture light so that it increases in volume. This is the process of making bakery products. Now, many of us do not know that in what quantity we should use baking powder. Well, to increase the quantity of a particular good, only one teaspoon is enough. The quantity increases, thereby leading to a light texture of the product.
Now, let us discuss the difference between baking soda and baking powder.
||Baking soda is defined as an agent that is used for producing bakery products like cakes, muffins, bread, etc.
||Baking powder is defined as an agent that contains both acid and base, which is used to increase the quantity of the product.
||Baking soda reacts when it is mixed with acid and liquid ingredients like buttermilk, citrus juice, etc.
||On the other hand, baking powder reacts when it is mixed with water and acid.
||If one swaps baking soda with baking powder, no supplementary ingredients are needed.
||If one swaps baking powder with baking soda, extra ingredients are required.
||Baking soda lacks acid ingredients.
||Baking powder includes acid ingredients that help in acquiring a good taste.
||Baking soda is a stronger substitute.
||Baking powder is not that stronger substitute.
||The usage of baking soda depends upon the quantity of the product. For instance, a half teaspoon is enough for 118 millimetres of water, juice, etc.
||Baking powder is used to increase the quantity of a product. Therefore, only one teaspoon is enough for making a product increase.
So, these are the basic differences between baking soda and baking powder. Well, it is interesting to note that both are used to make bakery products. The major difference between them is of the bases included in them. Baking soda is used to make bakery products, and baking powder is used to increase the quantity of those products. For instance, to make a muffin fluffy and soft, baking powder is required. Apart from cooking, there are many uses of baking soda and baking powder. Let us take a look at some of them.
Uses of Baking Powder:
- Whiter Teeth: Baking Powder contains sodium bicarbonate which is found in several kinds of toothpaste. Baking powder helps in fighting bad breath and makes teeth whiter. One can make toothpaste at home too. One needs to mix water with one teaspoon of baking powder and rub it for 5 minutes.
- Stamina: Baking powder helps in increasing the stamina after a particular physical exercise like jogging, running, etc.
- Deodorant: Baking powder is a natural deodorant that can be used instead of other deodorants.
- Soft Hands: Two-third of water mixed with one-third of baking powder results in having cleaner and softer hands.
- Insect Bites: Baking powder helps in getting relief from insect bites. One just needs to apply the mixture of baking powder and water to the area that has been bitten. This helps in avoiding skin irritation and itchiness.
- Sunburn: In order to remove the tanning from your skin, baking powder can be used. One can bathe with 100 ml of baking powder and water. You can also apply this mixture to the affected area but make sure that this mixture is cold enough.
- Sodium: Since baking powder has sodium bicarbonate, it is important for having good health. This sodium bicarbonate also helps in maintaining blood pressure.
Uses of Baking Soda:
- Mouthwash: Baking soda can be used as a mouthwash which will help in fighting bad breath and odor. You just need to mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with a glass of warm water. This is one of the organic mouthwashes that one can use.
- Canker Sores: Baking powder is used to heal the sores/ ulcers that occur in our mouth. We can use the mouthwash mentioned above in order to get relief from the canker sores.
- Air Freshener: Baking soda is used as an air freshener. In order to make air freshener, one needs a fresh jar, one-third of baking soda, ten drops of perfume or oils, a piece of paper. Mixing these ingredients will result in having an organic air freshener that will mask the bad odor.
- Laundry: Baking soda consists of an alkaline solution that is used to make the clothes whiter. One can mix one teaspoon of baking soda with detergent. This will help in removing the stains from the clothes.
- Cleaning of Vegetables and Fruits: Nowadays, we want to have organic food. In order to remove the chemicals and pesticides from the fruits and vegetables, we can soak them in baking soda. This is a healthier approach to live an organic life.
- Silverware: Baking Soda is used to polish the silverware. For this, one needs aluminium foil, boiling water, baking soda, and vinegar. This mixture helps in removing the tarnish from the silverware.
- Cleaner: Baking soda can be used for cleaning the washrooms as well. Tiles, toilets, showers, bathtub, and sink can be cleaned with the help of baking soda. Thus, baking soda is used to clean washrooms.
So, these are some of the uses and benefits of baking soda and baking powder. Both baking soda and baking powder have the same bases, i.e., sodium bicarbonate, which is used for various purposes like cleaning, extinguishing, laundry, etc. Apart from these, sodium in food can also result in having a healthy lifestyle. It helps in controlling blood pressure, which is good for health. The major difference between them is of the usage. Baking soda is used in bakery products and contains ingredients like buttermilk. On the other hand, baking powder is used to increase the quantity of the product. Thus, both baking powder and baking soda have certain differences along with several benefits.