1) Out of the following four sentences, select the most suitable sentence with respect to grammar and usage.
In option (A) and (B) Not and until both worlds are used which is not correct because if until is used then there is doesn't need to used not world. So both option (A) and (B) are incorrect.
In option (C) the minister is a single person, and we know with a singular subject, singular verb ending with "s." Here meet is a singular verb which should be ending with "s." So, option (C) is incorrect.
Thus, option (D) is the right answer.
2) A rewording of something written or spoken is a ______________.
Paraphrase means to express something in a different way which makes easy for the listener to understand.
The paradox is a statement that contradicts itself which sounds logical but proves to be illogical when investigated.
Paradigm is a way of thinking about something.
Paraffin is a substance which is a white or colorless, tasteless and used in candles, polishes, etc.
Therefore option (A) will be the most suitable answer.
3) Archimedes said, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I will move the world."
The sentence above is an example of a ___________ statement.
In the given sentence the words lever and fulcrum are used figuratively. A figurative is a figure of speech meaning which is used in a way that is different from the usual meaning.
Therefore option (A) is the correct answer.
4) If 'relftaga' means carefree, 'otaga' means careful and 'fertaga' means careless, which of the following could mean 'aftercare'?
According to the question,
relf taga = care free
Now, from the above, it is clear that taga means to care. In the given worlds, we can see that if taga present in the second part, care comes in the first part in English translation.
So, for "aftercare" word "taga-er" and "tagazen" are the options. But "fer" means less. Therefore tagazen is the right answer.
Hence option (C) will be the correct answer.
5) A cube is built using 64 cubic blocks of side one unit. After it is built, one cubic block is removed from every corner of the cube. The resulting surface area of the body (in square units) after the removal is __________.
Cube is built using 64 cubic blocks of side one unit.
So, side * side * side = 64 = 4 * 4 * 4 *
Hence, side = 4 sq. Units
number of faces in a cube = 6
Now, we know that the surface area of the body will remain unchanged when any cubic block is removed from every corner of the cube. A cube contains eight corner pieces (containing three visible sides) which make the number of visible faces same as after and before removal.
So, surface area of the body before removal = surface area of the body after removal
= Face * side * side = 6 * 4 * 4 = 96.
Therefore option (D) will be the correct answer.
6) A shaving set company sells 4 different types of razors, Elegance, Smooth, Soft and Executive. Elegance sells at Rs. 48, Smooth at Rs. 63, Soft at Rs. 78 and Executive at Rs. 173 per piece. The table below shows the numbers of each razor sold in each quarter of a year.
Which product contributes the greatest fraction to the revenue of the company in that year?
To calculate the revenue generated by each product in a year we need first to calculate total units of each category sold, and then multiply it with the cost per unit.
Cost per unit:- Elegance = Rs. 48, Smooth = Rs. 63, Soft = Rs. 78 and Executive = Rs. 173
Total revenue generated from Elegance = (27300+25222+28976+21012) * Rs. 48 = Rs. 4920480
Total revenue generated from Smooth = (20009+19392+22429+18229) * Rs. 63 = Rs. 5043717
Total revenue generated from Soft = (17602+18445+19544+16595) * Rs. 78 = Rs. 5630508
Total revenue generated from Executive = (9999+8942+10234+10109) * Rs. 173 = Rs. 6796132
So, Total revenue from all product = Rs. 22390837
Fraction of Revenue for Elegance = 4920480 / 22390837 = 0.2197
Fraction of Revenue for Smooth = 5043717 / 22390837 = 0.2252
Fraction of Revenue for Soft = 5630508 / 22390837 = 0.2514
Fraction of Revenue for Executive = 6796132 / 22390837 = 0.3035
Hence, the greatest fraction to the revenue of the company in that year is: Executive (0.3035).
Therefore option (B) will be the correct answer.
7) Indian currency notes show the denomination indicated in at least seventeen languages. If this is not an indication of the nation's diversity, nothing else is.
Which of the following can be logically inferred from the above sentences?
Option A is incorrect because more than 17 languages are available in India.
Option B is incorrect because of the word 'only.' There are many indicators of a nation's diversity represented in India.
Option C is incorrect because the number of languages in India is not mentioned in the question.
Option D is correct as it can be easily inferred from the above statement.
Therefore option (D) will be the right answer.
8) Consider the following statements relating to the level of poker play of four players P, Q, R and S.
I. P always beats Q
Which of the following can be logically inferred from the above statements?
(i) P is likely to beat all the three other players
i) P is likely to beat all the three other players is not inferred from the given statements because P is not likely to beat S. Since, it is given in question S only loses sometimes to P.
ii) Since, S is likely to beat P. So, it is not the worst player. Hence, option (ii) cannot be inferred from the given statements.
Therefore option (D) will be the correct answer.
GATE 2016 CS Set 1-2
GATE 2016 CS Set 1-3
GATE 2016 CS Set 1-4
GATE 2016 CS Set 1-5
GATE 2016 CS Set 1-6
GATE 2016 CS Set 1-7
GATE 2016 CS Set 1-8