ProcessBuilder in Java
The class ProcessBuilder is used to create the operating system process in Java. The collection of process attributes is managed by each instance of the ProcessBuilder class. The ProcessBuilder class cannot be synchronized. Prior to JDK 5.0, it was the Runtime.exec() method that was used to create the process and execute it. Note that the ProcessBuilder class extends the Object class.
Constructors of The ProcessBuilder Class
ProcessBuilder(List command): It does the construction of the process builder with the mentioned arguments and operating system program.
ProcessBuilder(String… command): It also does the construction of the process builder with the mentioned arguments and operating system program.
Methods of The ProcessBuilder Class
1. List Command(): The method returns the arguments and the process builder's operating system program.
Syntax: public List command().
Returns: the arguments and the process builder's program.
Exceptions: Gives the NullPointerException whenever the argument is null.
2. ProcessBuilder directory(File directory): The method sets the working directory of the process builder. The subprocesses invoked by the start() method utilize it as the working directory.
Syntax: public ProcessBuilder directory(File directory).
Returns: The process builder.
3. Map environment(): The string map view of the environment of the process builder's is returned by this method. The environment gets initialized with a copy of the current process environment when the process builder is created.
Syntax: public Map environment()
Returns: The environment of the process builder's.
Exception: SecurityException - if a security manager is in existence and its method checkPermission() does not give permission to access the process environment.
Key = USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE, Value = DESKTOP-2CFH9HQ Key = LOCALAPPDATA, Value = C:\Users\Nikhil\AppData\Local Key = PROCESSOR_LEVEL, Value = 6 Key = USERDOMAIN, Value = DESKTOP-2CFH9HQ Key = FPS_BROWSER_APP_PROFILE_STRING, Value = Internet Explorer Key = LOGONSERVER, Value = \\DESKTOP-2CFH9HQ Key = PROMPT, Value = $P$G Key = SESSIONNAME, Value = Console Key = ALLUSERSPROFILE, Value = C:\ProgramData Key = =K:, Value = K:\ Key = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE, Value = AMD64 Key = PSModulePath, Value = C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\ Key = SystemDrive, Value = C: Key = =ExitCode, Value = 00000000 Key = OneDrive, Value = C:\Users\Nikhil\OneDrive Key = APPDATA, Value = C:\Users\Nikhil\AppData\Roaming Key = USERNAME, Value = Nikhil Key = ProgramFiles(x86), Value = C:\Program Files (x86) Key = CommonProgramFiles, Value = C:\Program Files\Common Files Key = Path, Value = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-11.0.13\bin Key = FPS_BROWSER_USER_PROFILE_STRING, Value = Default Key = PATHEXT, Value = .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC Key = OS, Value = Windows_NT Key = COMPUTERNAME, Value = DESKTOP-2CFH9HQ Key = PROCESSOR_REVISION, Value = 8e09 Key = CommonProgramW6432, Value = C:\Program Files\Common Files Key = ComSpec, Value = C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe Key = ProgramData, Value = C:\ProgramData Key = ProgramW6432, Value = C:\Program Files Key = HOMEPATH, Value = \Users\Nikhil Key = SystemRoot, Value = C:\Windows Key = TEMP, Value = C:\Users\Nikhil\AppData\Local\Temp Key = HOMEDRIVE, Value = C: Key = PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER, Value = Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel Key = USERPROFILE, Value = C:\Users\Nikhil Key = TMP, Value = C:\Users\Nikhil\AppData\Local\Temp Key = CommonProgramFiles(x86), Value = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files Key = ProgramFiles, Value = C:\Program Files Key = PUBLIC, Value = C:\Users\Public Key = NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS, Value = 4 Key = windir, Value = C:\Windows Key = =::, Value = ::\
Note: The above output is the dynamic one. It is because the output varies from one user to other user depending on the system the user is using.
4. boolean redirectErrorStream(): The method returns a Boolean value showing whether the process builder merges standard output and standard error. If the method redirectErrorStream() returns true, then any error output generated by the subprocesses subsequently initiated by the start() method gets merged with the standard output so that both can be read using the Process.getInputStream() method. The method makes it simpler to do the correlation of the error messages with the corresponding output. Note that the beginning value is false for the property redirectErrorStream.
Syntax: public boolean redirectErrorStream()
Returns: A Boolean value.
5. ProcessBuilder redirectErrorStream(boolean redirectErrorStream): The method assigns the redirectErrorStream property of the process builder's. If the property redirectErrorStream is true, then any error produced by the subsequent subprocesses begun by the start() method gets merged with the standard. The initial value is false.
Syntax: public boolean redirectErrorStream(boolean redirectErrorStream)
Returns: A Boolean value.
6. Process start(): The method begins a new process with the help of the attributes of the process builder. The new process invokes the arguments and command provided by command(), in the working directory provided by directory(), with the process environment provided by the environment(). The method checks whether the command compatible with the operating system or not.
Syntax: public Process start().
Returns: a new Process object for managing the subprocess.
Volume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is E44F-AA1A Directory of C:\Users\Nikhil\Downloads\March Month Content 04/02/2022 12:53 PM <DIR> . 04/02/2022 12:53 PM <DIR> .. 03/07/2022 02:16 AM 72,341 Arithmetic Exception in Java.docx 04/01/2022 07:50 PM 75,092 Balanced Prime in Java.docx 03/04/2022 12:06 AM 72,984 Comparetoignorecase Java.docx 03/07/2022 02:16 AM 67,015 Difference between ArrayList and LinkedList.docx 03/18/2022 10:29 PM 88,850 Display the nodes at odd levels of a tree.docx 04/01/2022 06:49 PM 68,855 Empty Statement in Java.docx 03/07/2022 02:13 AM 75,014 Iccanobif Numbers in Java.docx 03/22/2022 05:43 PM 82,319 Java HashSet.docx 03/29/2022 06:43 PM 77,242 Java LinkedHashSet class.docx 03/26/2022 05:06 AM 87,274 Maximum Rectangular Area in a Histogram.docx 04/01/2022 06:59 PM 75,088 Minimum Coins for Making a Given Value in Java.docx 03/07/2022 02:27 AM 77,622 Minimum Xor Value Pair in Java.docx 03/18/2022 10:24 PM 70,371 Nude Numbers in Java.docx 03/03/2022 01:21 AM 69,562 Trimorphic Numbers in Java.docx 03/28/2022 06:23 PM 86,764 Two Sorted LinkedList Intersection in Java.docx 15 File(s) 1,146,393 bytes 2 Dir(s) 13,788,762,112 bytes free
6. ProcessBuilder inheritIO(): Sets the destination and source for standard I/O subprocess same for the current Java process.
Syntax: public ProcessBuilder inheritIO().
Returns: The process builder.
"Welcome To JavaTpoint. A great site to Learn Java.
Next TopicHow to Clear Java Cache