Who is Java Developer?
A Java Developer is a specialized programmer who work on business applications, software, and websites along with software engineers and web developers. Java developer can work in following two domains:
- Software/Backend development: As a software developer or backend developer, the Java developer has to perform requirement gathering, designing, database connectivity etc.
- Mobile App development: A Java developer working in mobile app development domain operate on technologies such as Android development with Kotlin/Java.
Technical Skills required For Java Developer
- Hands-on practice in Core Java Programming
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented programming concepts, exception handling, and memory management
- Must know concepts of multi-threading and dependency injection
- Good knowledge of relational and/or non-relational databases such as MySQL, MongoDB, etc.
- Ability to work with ORM frameworks and technologies for example, JPA2 and Hibernate
- Work experience in any Java IDE tool such as Eclipse, Intellij IDE
- Experience in one of the framework - Spring, Struts, JSF
- Knowledge of build tools such as Maven, Gradle, etc.
- Version control (Git repository)
- Awareness of CI/CD and DevOps and tools like Jenkins, GitHub pipelines, etc.
Other Preferred Skills
- Experience in developing SaaS, PaaS, and cloud-based web applications
- Knowledge of design principles and fundamentals of the software development lifecycle
- Familiar with Java libraries and integration of front-end with back-end
- Experience of the quality standards and best code practices
- Basic knowledge of domains and business processes
- Familiar with agile and DevOps methodologies
- Logical thinking, good analytical skills, and a problem-solving attitude
- Ability to multitask and manage projects with priorities
- Result-oriented, growth, and constant learning mindset
- Good team player and guide team members whenever required
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good verbal and written communication skills
- Must be updated with latest technologies and trends
- Analyze and create implementation strategies and improvement plans
- Contribute to the organizational processes to increase productivity
- Strong debugging skills and experience in test-driven development
- Good knowledge of testing and continuous deployment environment
- Passionate about delivering quality code within the timeline
- Hands-on experience in cloud application development and deployment
- Collaborate with the team and share improvement ideas, policies, and opportunities to increase the overall experience
- Experience in Agile development and tools like SCRUM, KANBAN, etc.
The above list contains several soft skills that are not tied to a specific job role. A job description of a Java developer requires specific tools and frameworks as a part of the requirement.
Salary of a Java Developer
Working as a Java developer is one of the highest-paying and rewarding job worldwide. In India, the average base salary of a Java developer is mentioned below.
||Experience (in Years)
||Salary in India (Rs.)
||Salary in US ($)
||< 10 Years
Roles and Responsibilities of a Java Developer
The roles and responsibilities of a Java developer/engineer will vary greatly depending on the company and specific position. Here are some typical responsibilities:
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining Java applications that are often high-volume and low-latency, required for mission-critical systems
- Delivering high availability and performance
- Contributing in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Writing well-designed, efficient, and testable code
- Conducting software analysis, programming, testing, and debugging
- Managing Java and Java EE application development
- Ensuring designs comply with specifications
- Preparing and producing releases of software components
- Transforming requirements into stipulations
- Support continuous improvement
- Investigating alternatives and technologies
- Presenting for architectural review