Artificial Intelligence in Robotics
With the invention of machines or computers, their capability to perform different tasks went on increasing exponentially. Humans have developed the power of computer systems in terms of diverse working domains, with increasing speed, and reducing size with respect to time.
What is Artificial Intelligence
According to the founder of Artificial Intelligence, John McCarthy, it is "The engineering and science developed intelligent machine, especially an intelligent computer programs".
It is a way of developing a computer, a computer-controlled robot, or software that think intelligently, in a similar manner the intelligent humans think.
Artificial Intelligence is implemented by studying how human brain thinks and how humans decide, learn, and work while trying to solve a problem, and then using the result of this study as a basis of developing intelligent systems and software.
Goals of Artificial Intelligence
- For Implementing Human Intelligence in Machines - Creating systems that understand, learn, think and behave like humans.
- For Developing Expert Systems - The systems which exhibit intelligent behavior, learn, explain, demonstrate, and advice its users.
What Contributes to Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence is a technology and science based on disciplines such as Psychology, Computer Science, Biology, Mathematics, Linguistics, and Engineering. A major thrust to artificial intelligence is the development of computer functions associated with human intelligence, such as learning, reasoning and problem solving.
Consider the different areas which contribute to artificial intelligence are:-
Programming with and without Artificial Intelligence (AI)
|Programming with AI||Programming without AI|
|AI programs can absorb new modifications by using highly independent pieces of information together. Therefore you can modify even a minute piece of information in a program without affecting its structure.||Modification in a program leads to change in its structure.|
|A computer program with AI can answer the generic questions it is meant to solve.||A computer program without AI can answer the specific questions it is meant to solve.|
|Easy and quick program modification.||Modification is not quick and easy. It may result in affecting the program adversely.|
Application of Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Expert Systems - There are various applications which integrate machine, special information and software to impart advising and reasoning. These systems provide explanation and advice to the users.
- Gaming - AI plays major role in strategic games such as poker, chess, tic-tac-toe, etc. Using artificial intelligence the machine can think of large number of possible moves based on general knowledge.
- Natural Language Processing - Using natural language processing it is possible to interact with a computer that can understand natural language spoken by humans.
- Vision systems - These systems interpret, understand, and comprehend a visual input on the computer.
- Intelligent Robots - Robots are designed for performing the tasks given by a human. They have sensors embedded to detect physical data from the outside environment such as heat, light, sound, pressure, etc. They have multiple sensors, efficient processors and large memory, to exhibit intelligence. In addition, they are capable to learn from their mistakes and they can easily adapt to the new environment.