SQL tutorial provides basic and advanced concepts of SQL. Our SQL tutorial is designed for beginners and professionals.
SQL (Structured Query Language) is used to perform operations on the records stored in database such as updating records, deleting records, creating and modifying tables, views etc.
SQL is just a query language, it is not a database. To perform SQL queries, you need to install any database for example Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, PostGre SQL, SQL Server, DB2 etc.
What is SQL
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language.
- It is designed for managing data in a relational database management system (RDBMS).
- It is pronounced as S-Q-L or sometime See-Qwell.
- SQL is a database language, it is used for database creation, deletion, fetching rows and modifying rows etc.
- SQL is based on relational algebra and tuple relational calculus.
All DBMS like MySQL, Oracle, MS Access, Sybase, Informix, Postgres and SQL Server use SQL as standard database language.
Why SQL is required
SQL is required:
- To create new databases, tables and views
- To insert records in a database
- To update records in a database
- To delete records from a database
- To retrieve data from a database
What SQL does
- With SQL, we can query our database in a numbers of ways, using English-like statements.
- With SQL, user can access data from relational database management system.
- It allows user to describe the data.
- It allows user to define the data in database and manipulate it when needed.
- It allows user to create and drop database and table.
- It allows user to create view, stored procedure, function in a database.
- It allows user to set permission on tables, procedure and view.
SQL Order By