What is the full form of GAIL
GAIL: Gas Authority of India Limited
GAIL stands for Gas Authority of India Limited. It is the India's largest natural gas processing and distribution company. It is headquartered in New Delhi. GAIL is listed in National Stock Exchange (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). As of 2016, B C Tripathi is the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of GAIL.
The product line of the company consists of:
- Processing and trading of natural gas
- Liquid Petroleum Gas
- Liquid hydrocarbons
- Electricity generation
- GAIL India was established by Government of India in 1984 as a PSU (Public Sector Undertaking) under the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. It was incorporated to lay down the infrastructure of gas supply in India. At that time, the company used to be known as Gas Authority of India Limited.
- GAIL has been conferred with a Maharatna status by the Government of India on 1 Feb, 2013. It stands at 131 among the 150 most trusted brands in India according to a study.
- In 1996, GAIL is listed in NSE, BSE and DSE.
- In 1999, LPG plants at Usar and Lakwa were commissioned.
- In 2002, it picked up 12% equity stake in GSEGs (156MW power project) in Gujarat.
- In August 2003, Bhagyanagar Gas Limited (a joint venture of GAIL and HPCL) was established for distribution and marketing of Auto LPG, CNG for vehicles and retailing of natural gas in Andhra Pradesh.
- In 2004, a wholly-owned subsidiary of GAIL (GAIL Global (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.) was established in Singapore.
- In 2009, it was awarded the SCOPE Meritorious Award for Corporate Governance for the year 2007-08.
- In 2010, it opened a Representative Office in Egypt. In the same year, it was ranked number one company in the category of gas utilities in Asia in the Platts Global Ranking.
- In 2011, GAIL won the ?Managing India Award? for the ?Outstanding PSU of the Year?. It is the first PSU to receive this award.
- In 2012, it received the ?MoU Excellence Award? for being a Best Performing CPSE in the Petroleum Sector for the year 2009-10. In the same year, its 2200 km pipeline from Dahej to Bhathinda was inaugurated by the then Prime Minister.
GAIL was established not only to run business and generate profits but also to fulfill its duties as a responsible corporate citizen.
GAIL has the largest pipeline network in the country. It supplies gas to power plants for generation of over 4000 MW of power. This power is used in production of fertilizers like 10 million tons of Urea and other fertilizers.