What is the full form of IBM
IBM: International Business Machines
IBM stands for International Business Machines. It is a multinational technology and consulting organization which is a trusted brand in IT sector. Its headquarters is in Armonk, New York and its current CEO is Ginni Rometty. The company manufactures computer hardware and software and offers infrastructure, hosting and consulting services. Its products can be divided into different categories such as cloud, cognitive, data & analysis, IT infrastructure etc. Its services include Business, Mobility, networking, Resiliency services, security services, technical support services etc. Furthermore, it also offers various enterprise and business solutions.
The logo of company "the 8 bar" is designed by Paul Rand. The company is also known as "Big Blue" because of the blue color in its logo and products.
- The company was founded on June 16 1911, by Charles Ranlett Flint as the Computing Tabulating Recording Company (CTR). It was the result of merger of three companies; Tabulating Machine Company, International Time Recording Company and Computing Scale Company.
- In 1914, Thomas J. Watson, Sr. from the National Cash Register Company joined the CTR.
- In 1924, the CTR was named as International Business Machines (IBM).
- In 1953, it introduced the first computer, IBM 701 defense calculator. It was a general purpose electronic computer.
- In 1957, IBM developed a programming language and named it FORTRAN.
- In 1933, IBM bought the patents for the electric typewriter and produced an improved version of the typewriter in 1935.
- In 1956, the company introduced the first hard drive, the 305 RAMAC.
- In 1967, it introduced floppy disks and changed the way data was saved and moved.
- In 1970, IBM partnered with American Express and American Airlines and created first airline ticket vending kiosk.
- In 1972, it created the first ATM, the IBM 2984.
- IBM introduced the Universal Product Code (UPC) code. The code is the identity of the product and the vendor who sells the product. It was first used in 1974, at a supermarket in Ohio.
- It developed magnetic strip technology and introduced magnetic strips on credit cards and driving licenses.
- In 1981, IBM introduced its first personal computer and named it IBM PC.
- In 2012, it was ranked the second largest U.S. Company in terms of the number of employees (435,000).