Difference between Ionic and Cordova
Ionic and Apache Cordova are not considered competitors; instead, Ionic is built on top of Cordova. They are two popular technologies widely adopted in the market for mobile app development. The combination of these technologies forms a development platform which is known as hybrid app development. Both frameworks have a large community of passionate developers and are used in large enterprises. In this section, we are going to see how Ionic is different from Apache Cordova.
Apache Cordova allows developers to access the native features of an application, such as camera, video recording, audio feature, location access, etc. With the Cordova, you can integrate a lot of different plugins in your application to fulfill all the requirement that uses the hardware of a device to run the application.
Advantages of Cordova
The most popular advantages of Apache Cordova are as follows:
- It is a free and open-source technology.
- It is easy to learn.
- It is used for developing a cross-platform application.
- It is used to make app development very quickly and effectively.
- It has a lot of plugins, which you can integrate into your application to fulfill all the requirements to run the application.
- It has good community support, which helps you to get rid of all the issues you are getting.
Disadvantages of Cordova
The disadvantages of Apache Cordova are as follows:
- Its code is running in a web view, which makes its performance slow.
- It has web-based UI running in a web view, due to which it does not provide a good look and feel to the app.
- It is not the right technology to develop game application because it requires some higher-end plugins which are currently not available.
The Ionic framework mainly focuses on front-end user experience or UI interaction, which handles all the look and feel of your app. It is easy to learn and can integrate with other libraries or frameworks such as Angular, React, Cordova, etc. Officially, the Ionic framework has integration with Angular, but it also provides support for Vue.js and React.js.
Advantages of Ionic
The advantages of the Ionic application are as follows:
- Ionic provides simple, easy, and well-structured documentation. The official documentation covered most of the things required for the developers.
- The ionic application can deploy on multiple platforms such as iOS, Android, Desktop, and the web, all with one codebase. The ionic apps can write once and runs everywhere.
- The user interface of Ionic, such as themes and components are highly customizable. The ionic platform allows its components to adapt to the platform on which the application is running.
Disadvantages of Ionic
The disadvantages of Ionic application are as follows:
- The performance of the Ionic app is not as good as compared to native mobile applications. However, the performance gap is not noticeable for most of the average users.
- The app developed with the Ionic framework may not provide as much security as a native application. For example, if you are developing a financial app, e.g., the app for a bank, the Ionic framework is not recommended.
- You cannot access any device-specific feature in Ionic without using Apache Cordova. Apache Cordova allows you to integrate the plugins which can add the functionality to access those features. However, there are many plugins available to cover most of the native functionalities.
- Ionic technology is still in development. It regularly keeps changing its support and standard, and its libraries can be completely rewritten at any time.
Ionic vs. Cordova
The major differences between Ionic and Cordova are as follows:
- Ionic provides frameworks to use in the application. Whereas Cordova provides plugins to run the application similar to the native app.
- Ionic provides many different functions, which need to be integrated with the application, whereas Cordova provides the hardware access of a device to the application.
- The Cordova plugin allows you to make your own plugin, whereas Ionic does not provide you to make your own plugin.
- The companies use Cordova are BetRocket, HandHeld Hospitality, Die Coder GmbH, and Dial Once. Whereas the companies use Ionic are Edify, MAK IT, eTobb, and Dispatch.
- The tools integrated with Cordova are Sentry, Wikitude, GameAnalytics, LokiJS, WebStorm, etc. Whereas tools integrate with Ionic are Atatus, Readymag, Backand, JScrambler, etc.