What is the full form of NASDAQ
NASDAQ: National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations
It is an American and Canadian stock exchange market which allows the investors to buy and sell stocks on an automated, transparent and fast computer network. It is owned by NASDAQ OMX Group and is headquartered in New York, United States. In terms of market capitalization, it is the second largest stock exchange in the world after New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). It currently stylized as Nasdaq.
NASDAQ has three levels of quotes:
- First level quote gives the information about the highest and lowest bid.
- Second level quote provides the details of the dealers who are ready to buy or sell the stock.
- Third level quote helps the makers of market to enter the desired quotes and execute orders.
Pre-market session: It starts from 4 am and ends at 9:30 am.
Normal trading session: It starts from 9:30 am and ends at 4:00 pm.
Post-market session: It starts from 4:00 pm and ends at 8:00 pm.
- NASDAQ was founded by National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD) on 8 February 1971. At the time, it was a computer bulletin board-type system.
- In 1975, it invented the initial public offering (IPO) which enabled the growth companies to raise capital to expand their businesses.
- In 1985, it created the NASDAQ-100 Index.
- In 1996, it launched the first exchange website www.nasdaq.com.
- In 1998, it merged with the American Stock Exchange and formed NASDAQ-AMEX Market Group.
- In 2000, the External Link NASDAQ was restructured to form NASDAQ Stock Market, Inc.
- In 2007, NASDAQ acquired OMX (Swedish-Finnish financial company) and changed its name to NASDAQ OMX Group.
- In 2008, NASDAQ OMX acquired the Philadelphia Stock Exchange which was the oldest stock exchange in the United States.
- In 2009, NASDAQ OMX launched its mobile web version, nasdaq.com.
Some of the major companies listed on NASDAQ are given below:
- Infosys Limited
- Yahoo! Inc.