The last command is used to find out last logged in timing of a user. It shows a list of last logged in users from /var/log/wtmp file since this file was created. Hence, this list is too long.
It gives all related information like who is logged in, IP address (if there is a remote connection), duration for logged in, date and time.
Look at the above snapshot,
- First column shows logged in user
- Second column shows how a user is connected to the system
here, pts is pseudo terminal
pts0 means user connects via remote connection
system boot indicates the exception for reboot activity
- Third column shows user's address
if it shows :0 it means it is connected via local terminal
it shows IP address if it is connected via remote server
kernel version is shown as the exception in system reboot
- Remaining columns display timing activity of the users
- Bracket data indicates for how much time user was logged in