Aptitude Problems on Trains Concepts and Formulas
Points to remember:
Keep same units for all values mentioned in the problem i.e. as per the units of the given answers convert kilometer per hour (km/hr) to meters per second (m/s) and vice versa. In a similar way, convert meter (m) into centimeter (cm) and vice versa. See the examples given below:
Formula to convert Km/hr into m/s:
- 1km is equal to 1000 meters
- 1 hours is equal to 3600 seconds
- 1Km/hr is equal to meter/sec or m/s
So, to convert a value in Km/hr to m/s, we need to multiply it with See the example given below:
60 km/hr* = 16.7 m/s
Formula to convert m/s to Km/hr
- 1 meter is equal to 1/1000 km
- 1 sec is equal to 1/3600 hours
- 1 m/s is equal to
So, to covert a value in m/s to Km/hr, we will multiply it with 18/5. See the example given below:
20 m/s* =72 km/hr
Important facts about moving trains:
- The distance traveled by a train to cross a pole or person is equal to the length of the train.
- The distance traveled by train when it crosses a platform is equal to the sum of the length of the train and length of the platform.
- When two trains are travelling in opposite directions at speeds V1 m/s and V2 m/s then their relative speed is the sum of their individual speeds (V1+V2) m/s.
- Two trains are travelling in the same direction at V1 m/s and V2 m/s where V1 > V2 then their relative speed will be equal to the difference between their individual speeds (V1-V2) m/s.
- When two trains of length X meters and Y meters are moving in opposite direction at V1 m/s and V2 m/s then the time taken by the trains to cross each other is =
- When two trains of length X meters and Y meters are moving in same direction at V1 and V2 where V1> V2 then the time taken by the faster train to cross the slower train =
- When two trains X and Y start moving towards each other at the same time from points A and B and after crossing each other the train X reaches point B in a seconds and train Y reaches points A in b seconds, then
Train X speed: Train Y speed = b1/2: a1/2
Problem on Trains Aptitude Test Paper 1
Problem on Trains Aptitude Test Paper 2
Problem on Trains Aptitude Test Paper 3
Problem on Trains Aptitude Test Paper 4
Problem on Trains Aptitude Test Paper 5