NCERT Solutions Class 6 Social Science History
Chapter - 1: What, Where, How, and When?
1. Match the following:
Narmada Valley - Hunting and gathering
Magadha - The first big kingdom
Garo hills - Early agriculture
Indus and its tributaries - The first cities
Ganga Valley - Cities about 2500 years ago.
2. List one major difference between manuscripts and inscripts.
Manuscripts: Manuscript is derived from two words, manu (means hand) and script. The scripts written by hand are known as manuscripts.
Inscripts: The scripts written or hard surfaces, such as stone or metal are known as inscripts.
3. Return to Rasheeda's question. Can you think of some answer to it?
Rasheeda's Question: How anyone can know that what had happened so many years ago?
Answer: There are many ways in which a person can know that what had happened so many years ago.
1. Reading the books, such as manuscripts and inscripts.
Manuscripts were written by hand on the palm leaves or bark of the tree that grows in Himalayas. Some were eaten by insects, while some were preserved in temples and monasteries.
Inscripts were written on the hard substances, such as stone or metal.
4. Make a list of all the objects that archaeologists may find. Which of these could be made of stone?
Answer: The lists of all the objects are as follows:
The objects made of stone can be:
5. Why do you think ordinary men and women did not generally keep records of what they did?
Answer: The records were either carved on the stone or metal, which is an expensive process and cannot be carried by the ordinary people. Farmers were the ordinary people that do not fought any battles. Kings often fought battles and record their victories. Hence, we can say that ordinary men and women do not generally keep the records of what they did.
6. Describe at least two ways in which you think the lives of kings would have been different from those of farmers?
Answer: The lives of kings were different from that of farmers.