NCERT Solutions Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 10: New Empires and Kingdoms
1. State whether true or false:
a. Harishena composed a prashasti in praise of Gautamiputra Shri Satakarni.
Explanation: Prashasti was composed for some of the rulers, not only Gautamiputra Shri Satakarni.
b. The rulers of Aryavarta brought tribute for Samudragupta.
Explanation: The inner circle of the neighbouring states, such as Assam, coastal Bengal, Nepal, and a number of gana sanghas in the north-west brought the tribute for Samudragupta.
c. There were twelve rulers in Dakshinaptha.
Explanation: There were twelve rulers in Dakshinaptha who surrendered to Samudragupta after being defeated.
d. Taxila and Madurai were important centres under the control of the Gupta rulers.
e. Aihole was the capital of the Pallavas.
Explanation: Kanchipuram was the capital of the Pallavas. Aihole was the capital of Chalukyas.
f. Local assemblies functioned for several centuries in south India.
2. Mention three authors who wrote about Harshavardhana.
Answer: The three authors who wrote about Harshavardhana are as follows:
3. What changes do you find in the army at this time?
Answer: The changes found in the army at that time are listed as follows:
4. What were the new administrative arrangements during this period?
Answer: The administrative arrangements during this period are as follows:
5. What do you think Arvind would have to do if he was acting as Samudragupta?
Answer: Arvind would have to do the following things:
6. Do you think ordinary people would have read and understood the prashastis? Give reason for your answer?
Answer: No. I do not think that the ordinary people would have read and understood the prashasti. It is because Prashasti was written in Sanskrit language. All of the people at that time were not literate.