Directory submission is an off-page optimization activity. It involves submission of your site to a specific category of a web directory, e.g. if you have a tutorial website then you are supposed to submit your site in the education category of a web directory. Some directories are free and some charges a fee to list your site in the relevant categories.
Every directory has its own guidelines which you need to follow to submit your site. Some basic guidelines that most of the directories follow to approve a site into their database are; Title, Description, Keywords, Url, Category, Email and Site Content. Some directoris
Some of the popular directory submission sites are; www.dmoz.org, www.directorylisting.com and www.seofriendly.com.
There are plenty of benefits of having your site listed in popular directories. Some of the benefits are listed below;
1) Fast indexing:The search engines can easily find your site for crawling and indexing.
2) Higher link popularity: You get two additional links; contextual category link and unique directory listing link.
3) Higher page rank: Quality directories are used in Google Algorithm to calculate Google PageRank.
4) Social Media Sharing: Most of the popular directories have social media sharing buttons. It allows users to share your link with other users.
5) More traffic: The heavy traffic of popular directories can be diverted to your site.
6) Brand awareness: Your brand gets more exposure that helps increase brand awareness.