Joomla Interview Questions
A list of top frequently asked Joomla interview questions and answers are given below.
1) Explain Joomla.
Joomla is an open source Content Management System (CMS) written in PHP. It is a very popular CMS along with WordPress and Drupal. It facilitates users to develop online applications and websites. Joomla is built on model-view-controller (MVC) web application framework.
2) Explain Mambots in Joomla.
A Mambot is a small, task-oriented function, mini program or plugin. It is used to modify content before display, extend site search, add core functionality etc. Mambots are renamed plugins in Joomla 1.5.
3) Explain categories of mambots.
Mambots can be divided into 5 types/categories that are displayed by filtering in the filter field:
4) What are the advantages of Joomla?
Following are the main advantages of using Joomla:
5) Explain drawbacks of Joomla.
6) What is the homepage in Joomla?
When you install Joomla, it has a menu link to the frontpage component which is by default the homepage of a site.
7) What is position in Joomla?
Joomla template displays pages in a specific format. It divides the pages into a number of modules like nav, header, footer, top, bottom, module, etc. This is known as position.
8) What are the most useful and advanced features or add-ons in Joomla?
Joomla framework has some very useful and advanced features that facilitate developers to build some specific applications and websites very easily and quickly. These are:
9) Can Joomla be used as a blogging platform?
Yes Joomla can also be used as a blogging platform. But other CMS should be preferred over Joomla for blogging purpose.
10) Which database system does Joomla supports?
Joomla supports MySQL database.
11) By default how many tables Joomla have?
By default, Joomla have 65 tables.
12) How many Joomla tables are related with users?
13) In which files database settings are stored in Joomla CMS?
In Joomla CMS, database settings are stored in the root directory under configuration.php.
14) What is the prefix that Joomla uses by default?
Joomla have prefix like jos_.
15) Define the concept of Modules.
Modules are the items which can be shown anywhere through the module manager in the administrative interface. They are used to extend the capability of Joomla by adding new functionalities to the software. Modules are installed in the admin section.
A Joomla module may include:
16) Which files are required to build module in Joomla?
17) In which types of websites, Joomla is frequently used?
It is used in following type of websites
18) What are the web services that Joomla supports?
19) How to remove page title from the front page in a Joomla website?
For this you have to a parameter setting in the front page component:
20) What are the components in Joomla?
Components can be known as the main elements of Joomla's functionality. The core elements are:
21) Name the files required to built a component in Joomla.
Below files are necessary files to build a component in Joomla:
On admin side,
On front side,
22) State whether content items can be assigned to multiple categories or sections?
No. content items can't be assigned to multiple categories or sections.
23) How to link inside content to another content item in Joomla?
Get the URL for the page you want to link to. Then make a link using any editor or with HTML if you dont have WYSIWYG(Editor).
24) What is favicon? How can you change a favicon in Joomla?
A favicon is an icon associated with a particular website, generally displayed in the address bar of the browser. You can change, manage and upload a new favicon by accessing global configuration site tab.
25) How can you make a menu link that is not clickable?
You can use a link type separator/placeholder to create a menu link that is not clickable (doesn't connect to anything).
26) List some real world examples of Joomla.
Joomla supports all types and size of websites.
27) How Joomla is different in comparison to Drupal and WordPress?
Joomla, Drupal and WordPress all are content management systems written in PHP. Let's check the difference among them.
28) Why the SSL enabled option is set to on?
The page link will be as "https//.." when you set the SSL enabled option is set to on.
29) Which option would you choose for installed website metadata?
We will choose the global information option.
30) Which file is loaded for providing menu bar to admin interface?
Loader.php file is loaded by index.php for providing menu bar.
31) Can you control the desktop application with joomla?
Despite of the fact that Joomla is intended for web applications but we can also control some desktop applications. Joomla server can communicate with desktop applications by following some standard protocols.
32) Explain Breadcrumb Module in Joomla?
Breadcrumb displays hierarchical representation with click able links for the users to determine where they are in the web site and allow them to navigate back.
33) Explain Meta Description in Joomla Menu Manager?
It is a short description of the page in an optional paragraph which is displayed in the results of search engines.
34) Name the editor used in Joomla.
35) Explain the use of extension manager in Joomla.
Extension manager extends the functionality of a Joomla website.
36) Explain Feed Display Module in Joomla.
The Feed Display Module shows the RSS news feeds from a web site. It provides updated content to its user from other resources.
37) Explain Who's Online Module in Joomla.
This module displays the user's information that is accessing the web site.
38) Name the Joomla templates.
39) Explain Content Items, sections and categories.
Content items can be defined as the HTML pages which are created and managed by the admin. Joomla has various categories of content items like X-category has 0 or more content pages. We can further classify categories in sections as one category has 0 more sections.