Magento Interview Questions
There is given Magento interview questions and answers that has been asked in many companies. Let's see the list of top Magento interview questions.
1) Define Magento.
Magento is an e-commerce platform written in PHP and released under the open source license. It was released by Varien, Inc. on March, 31 2008. It provides flexibility and control to the On-line merchants over the look and content.
2) What was the initial release date of Magento?
Magento was initially released on 31st March, 2008.
3) Describe various versions of Magento.
Following are the different versions of Magento:
4) Explain the architecture of Magento.
Magento is a typical MVC application where controller remains at one place while the models at the other.
5) What is the technology used by Magento?
In Magento, PHP is used as a scripting language while MySQL is used as the database.
6) Explain some features of Magento?
Magento has following basic features.
7) What are the limitations of Magento?
There are the following limitations of Magento.
8) How can you improve performance of Magento?
There are various ways to improve Magento performance.
9) How can you make Magento more secure for client.
You can use following instructions to improve the security of magneto.
10) What type of web applications are created in Magento.
Magento is mainly used for shopping cart software.
11) What is EAV in Magento?
EAV stands for Entity Attribute Value. It is a technique that facilitates users to add unlimited columns to their table virtually.
12) How many tables will be created in EAV module in Magento? Name them.
EAV module will create 6 tables in database.
They are as follows:
13) Explain the difference between EAV and flat model..
EAV database model is fully in normalized form. Each column's value is stored in their respective data type table which makes it more complex as they have to join 5-6 tables even if you need only one detail. In EAV, columns are called attributes.
Flat model uses just one table. It is not normalized and uses more database space. It is not good for dynamic requirements where you may have to add some more columns in future. Its performance is fast as it needs only one query instead of joining 5-6 tables. In flat model, columns are called fields.
14) What are Magento product types?
15) Explain the difference between Mage::getModel() and Mage::getSingletone() in Magento.
16) Explain ORM in Magento.
ORM stands for Object Relational Mapping. It is a programming technique used to convert different types of data into objects and vice versa.
There are two types of ORM:
17) Explain different modules in Magento.
18) How to change theme for login users?
To change theme for login users,
20) State the syntax to call a CMS page in your module's PHTML file.
21) When you need to clear the cache to see the changes made in Magento?
When you have added or modified XML, CSS or JS files.
22) How to run custom query in Magento?
To run custom query,
23) How to enable product's custom attribute visibility in frontend?
In Manage Attributes section under custom attribute, select Yes for "Visible on Product View Page on Frontend" and "Used in Product Listing".
24) State whether namespace is mandatory while creating a custom module in Magento?
No, namespace is not mandatory while creating custom module.
25) Is it possible to have more than one grid in Magento?
Yes it is possible.
26) List the magic methods in Magento?
Magic methods in Magento:
27) How many types of sessions are there? Why we use different sessions in Magento?
There are namely three sessions in Magento:
All these sessions are stored in one session only. We use different sessions because sometimes we need to clear only a particular session data and not all session data.
28) How can you reset Magento Files and Directory permissions?
Change the directory to the directory where Magento is installed and execute the following commands.
29) How to make Magento working with another domain?
To let the Magento working with another domain, URL option of Magento base can be changed.
Follow these steps:
30) How will you get first and last item from the collection in Magento?
31) Explain the use of namespace in Magento?
Magento core modules are placed in mage namespace, core/Mage/Catalog and all custom modules are placed in local/CustomModule.
You can have more than one module with same name but they need to be placed in different namespaces.
32) Explain handles in Magento?
Handles control the structure of the page to be displayed. It decides which block will be placed where in the page. Handle is called for every page and every page request can have several unique handles.
33) Explain compilation feature in Magento?
Compilation feature allows us to compile all Magento files to create a single include path to increase performance.
34) How to enable Maintenance mode in Magento?
Create a file named as maintenance.flag and upload it to Magento home directory containing following code.
35) How to convert default currency to others in Magento?
To convert default currency to others, select the currency and import currency rates from System-> Manage currency-> Rates.
36) Explain Google checkout in Magento.
Magento allows the integration of online stores with Google checkout. Google checkout is the online payments service provided by the Google. It works like PayPal.
37) Explain how to change Magento core API setting?
You have to follow these steps to change Magento core API setting.
38) Can all billing information be managed through Magento?
You can do the following things through client Magento account:
39) What are the advantages of applying Connect Patches in Magento?
In Magento, applying Connect Patches provides following features:
40) How to fetch 5 bestsellers products programmatically in Magento?
41) What is codePool?
Code pool is a concept to pull the code in Magento structured format. It is specified when you register new module in app/etc/modules/Company_Module.xml
There are 3 codePools in Magento: core, community and local, which reside at app/code/ directory.
_community: It is generally used by 3rd party extensions.
_core: It is used by Magento core team.
_local: Local codePool should be used for in-hour module development and overriding of core and community modules for custom requirement.
So in short, you can say that codePool helps Magento to locate module inside app/code/ for processing