AutoCAD is a CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software that engineers, architects, and other professionals rely on to create precise 2D and 3D drawings.
The AutoCAD 2018 version was released on March 2017.
Features of AutoCAD 2018
The AutoCAD 2018 version was further updated to 2018.1 with some extra features.
The new features of AutoCAD 2018 and 2018.1 are listed below:
- High Resolution monitor support
The 2018.1 update includes more than 200 boxes and other User Interfaces elements to ensure quality viewing experience on high resolution (4K) displays. For example, Insert Table Dialog boxes, Visual LISP Editor, and Edit Layer State.
- Performance of 3D Graphics
The performance of 3D graphics for the Visual styles, Realistic, and Wireframe is increasing depending on the DWG tested files content.
The 2018 version recommends the use of the 64-bit machine and compatible graphics card for improved performance. The primary commands are 3DORBIT, ZOOM, PAN, and VSCURRENT. These commands are responsible for the additional performance improvement of 3D Graphics.
The 2018.1 update includes the 37% improved performance than 2018 of median values frames per second in the six-large benchmark models.
- Visual Experience
The improvements in visual experience include the following:
- Enhanced hatch display
- Working of off-screen object selection in all possible cases
- The high-quality graphics settings and anti-aliasing for supported graphics cards can now be controlled independently from each other.
- We can set the orange rubber-band line to any color, which appears when we edit and create objects. The color can be changed from the Display tab, Colors button, and Options dialog box.
- The primary system variables are OPTIONS, SELECTIONOFFSCREEN, HQGEOM, and LINESMOOTHING.
- Views and Viewports
The model views, together with automatically sized and scaled layout viewports can be created, retrieved, and placed on the current layout.
When the layout viewports are selected, it displays two additional grips. One grip is used for moving the viewport, and another is used for setting the display scale from a list of commonly used scales.
The primary commands and system variables are NEWVIEW and MVIEW.
- External reference paths
It includes two new path options, namely, Find and Replace and Select New Path with Relative path as the default path set.
The additional capabilities are listed below:
- The path used to fix a missing external reference can be applied for other missing reference files as well.
- The references can be attached with a Relative path type for unnamed files.
- We are reminded to update the relative paths for the external references when we save the host drawing in a new location.
- When a single external reference is selected, the change path type reflects the current path type. The change path type is present in the External References palette.
- The primary commands and system variables are REFPATHTYPE and EXTERNALREFERENCES.
- Enhancement of Xref layer
The Layer Settings dialog box includes new controls for managing the properties of the Xref layer. It is accessed from the layer properties manager and provides more flexibility for controlling Xref overrides.
If we want to specify the reload of a particular Xref layer property, the option to retain overrides to xref layer properties is turned on with the VISRETAIN system variable.
The primary command and system variables include LAYER, XREFOVERRIDE, VISRETAINMODE, and VISRETAIN.