Facts about Windows Operating System
In this article, you will learn the facts about the Windows operating system. But before discussing the facts, you should know about the Windows operating system.
What is the operating system?
Microsoft Windows is an operating system that was developed by Microsoft Cooperation. It is one of the most well-known operating systems in the world. It employs a graphical user interface (GUI). It enables users to save data, watch videos, run applications, play games, and connect to the Internet. The first version of Microsoft Windows is version 1.0, which was released on November 10, 1983. Microsoft Windows is available in various flavors, including Windows XP, Vista, Windows 95, Windows 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12.
The first business-oriented Windows operating system version was released in 1993, known as Windows NT 3.1. Windows launched the next versions, including Windows 3.5, 4/0, and Windows 2000. It developed several versions of Windows XP for home and the commercial environment when it was released in 2001. It was made with standard x86 hardware, including AMD and Intel processors. As a result, it could run on various hardware, including HP, Dell, Sony, and custom-built PCs.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Windows Operating System
There are various advantages and disadvantages of a Windows operating system. Some of the advantages and disadvantages of the Windows operating system are as follows:
- The Windows platform is ideal for game and software developers. Because Windows has a big user base and developers prefer to create utilities, games, and applications for the Windows OS.
- Most hardware companies make their drivers for Windows OS because it is used by 95% of users.
- Windows 10 is designed to work with both smartphones and desktop systems. Windows 10's user interface is designed in such a way that it works well with any sort of Windows device.
- All Microsoft Windows versions have something in common that enables users to easily switch from one version to another. Windows 7 users will have little trouble upgrading to Windows 10 because most features of Windows 10 are the same as those of Windows 7.
- Most hardware may be detected automatically by the plug and play feature. You do not require manually installing the hardware, but it is ready to use once connected, such as a webcam, keyboard, mouse, mobile device, etc.
- Most of the Windows apps, such as games, graphics software, download managers, and other popular software, are paid. You must either purchase them or pay a monthly subscription to utilize these programs.
- Windows OS support is not good for most users. Few significant companies can depend on the Windows team for assistance. Common users must look for forums to fix their problems.
- Your system should slow down and hangs up when you execute various programs at once. If your computer's performance becomes slow, you'll need to reboot it. The only way to fix this problem is to restart your computer.
- There are a lot of hacker attacks on windows. Hackers can easily breach the security of Windows. As a result, Windows users rely on anti-virus software and must pay corporations monthly fees to secure their data. Also, Windows users have to update the operating system to maintain up-to-date with security patches.
- If you're installing Windows operating system, you'll need a system with high RAM, a lot of hard drive space, and a strong graphics card. If you wish to install graphics applications like Photoshop, you'll need at least 16 GB of RAM.
Facts about Windows OS
There are various facts about the Windows operating system. Some facts about the Windows operating system are as follows:
- The MS-DOS is not the first operating system. The first OS was XENIX OS. In truth, MS-DOS was a modified licensing version of 86-DOS, also known as Quirky and Dirty DOS, and developed by Seattle Computer Products in 1980. Furthermore, XENIX was a variant name for the UNIX operating system version.
- Although creating folders in a Windows operating system is considered one of the easiest tasks, you can't create a folder named "CON" on Windows. It is because Windows does not allow some special characters in folder names.
- Microsoft's Office has been praised for its wide set of features, but you might be surprised to learn that it was published for Macintosh a year before it was released for Windows.
- The name Microsoft refers to a combo of microcomputers and software. Microsoft's journey began when they were known as "Micro-soft". In 1976, the hyphen was removed.
- The first Windows virus, WinVer 1.4, was introduced in 1992 for Microsoft Windows.
- According to the most recent figures, there are almost 1.36 billion active Windows users, which is nearly one-half the population of North and South America.
- Microsoft released Windows XP on October 25, 2001, and it quickly became the company's best-selling product in its software development history.
- Microsoft included games, such as Reversi, that rely on mouse button clicks rather than keyboard keys.
- Windows 95 is a significant advancement because it has the Start Menu, Taskbar, and Close buttons.
- According to Bill Gates, Windows 1.0 is one-of-a-kind software developed for serious PC users. Paint, Calculator, Notepad, and Word Processor are all included in Windows 1.0.
- On the basis of revenue, Microsoft became the world's largest PC software company in 1988.
- Three unreleased versions of the Windows operating system include "Windows Nashville", "Windows Cario", and "Windows Neptune".
- Windows NT was also known as a "Portable System" because it was built for commercial purposes.
- Microsoft launched Windows 10 in 2015, along with a digital personal assistant called "CORTANA".
- Windows 98 was the final MS-DOS-based Windows operating system.
- Initially, Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft, intended to name Windows "Interface Manager".
- Since 2009, Windows 7 and Windows 8 have sold more systems than the people of Europe.
- Microsoft has one of the largest art collections in the world, and they feel that art in the workplace decreases stress and increases productivity. The Microsoft Art Collection includes works by Cindy Sherman, Chuck Close, and Takashi Murakami, among others
- Microsoft has over 10000 patents, and they made it to the top five patent holders in the USA. It files approximately 3000 patents per year.
- Windows 1.0 version had a 16-bit interface, which was less than 1MB. It needs a minimum of 256 KB, a graphics adapter card, and two-sided floppy disk drives.