Java is an object-oriented, general purpose programming language (though it is not entirely object-oriented as it contains primitive types). Java codes are platform-independent, meaning java codes can run on any platform which is supporting Java. There is no need for re-compilation of code. Java has become one of the most used languages for client-server applications. Java code are converted to bytecode which runs on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) irrespective of the computer architecture.
Java was initially developed by James Gosling. He developed it at Sun Microsystems which got later acquired by Oracle. Java was first released in 1995. The latest versions in use are java 11 and Java 12.
Features of Java
The main reason why Java came into existence was that the previously used C++ was a bit cumbersome and not very feasible for client-server applications.
Following are the features of Java:
- It is an object-oriented programming language which makes writing code easy.
- Memory allocation takes place at run-time that is why a java program can be compiled even without the main function.
- It is platform independent, which is one of the most significant features of Java. The Java codes are not compiled directly, they are first converted to a bytecode which can be run on any platform which has JVM.
- Java is an interpreted language which means that the Java code compiles and runs simultaneously.
- Java is widely distributed due to its platform independent nature.
- It forms basis to many web frameworks like Node.JS, Angular.JS, and React.JS etc.
- It is light-weighted as it can be embedded within HTML of website.
- It has event based approach to concurrency.
- It follows the object oriented paradigm.
|Java is strongly typed and has strict rules. Also, variable type has to be declared before initializing the variable.
|Java is object-oriented programming language.
|Java programmes are platform independent. They can run on any device having Java Virtual Machine.
|Java objects are class based which means you have got to make a class in order to make a program.
|Java files have ".java" extension. These files are converted to bytecode which are executed by JVM.
|Java is a standalone language which means it does not require any other thing to be embedded in.
|Java programs require large amount of memory.
|When facing concurrency, then Java uses thread based approach to solve it.
|Java is vividly used for Android application development