Anjana Om Kashyap
She is an Indian journalist and anchor working in the India Today Group. She is a senior executive editor in Aaj Tak. She began her profession by joining Doordarshan, public broadcasting, and later moved to the Zee News before coming to Aaj Tak; she also worked for News 24. Kashyap grew up in a middle-class family with Omprakash Tiwari. Om Prakash Tiwari's father worked as a doctor in the Indian Army. He was in the Army for a short service commission. He served during the 1971 War.
Kashyap had been to Loreto Convent, a local Catholic School, and shifted to Delhi Public School, Ranchi. She holds an honors degree in Botany from the University of Delhi. She gave an All-India Pre-Medical Test and did not pass. Kashyap is a fierce debater and showed strong leadership skills during her childhood. She was the head girl in both schools and had taken the role of President of her college hostel. For post-graduation, she enrolled in the Delhi School of Social Work, and Kashyap says that this instilled the values of activism into her. Her initial job was as a counselor at Daewoo motors, but she left the company after working for one year. Later she enrolled in the NGO taken up the role of a legal counselor.
Kashyap's Personal Life
- Date of Birth: 12 June 1975
- Place of Birth: Ranchi, Jharkhand
- Age: 44 years
- Native Place: Ranchi, Jharkhand
- Zodiac Sign: Gemini
- Nationality: Indian
- School: Loreto Convent School, Ranchi
- College: Daulat Ram College, University of Delhi
- Delhi School of Social Works, University of Delhi, Jamia Milia University
- Educational Background: Botany (Hons) from DRC College, University of Delhi, Master in social works, Delhi School of Social Works Journalism (Diploma), Jamia Milia University, New Delhi
- Caste: Bhumihar Brahmin
- Religion: Hinduism
- Hobbies: Cooking, Reading, Travelling, Watching Movies
- Food Habits: Vegetarian
- Father: Late Dr. Om Prakash Tiwari (officer in the Indian Armed Forces)
Husband: Mangesh Kashyap
Career in Journalism
Kashyap had opted for Journalism in 2000 from Jamia Milia Islamia University. In the Doordarshan channel, she was asked to the news desk of Aankhon Dekhi. It was an investigative show, but she was given infrequent reporting duties. Later, she shifted to Zee News and wanted to take a full-time role, but the channel found that she had insufficient speaking finesse and gave her producing roles. She qualified for auditions easily and came as an anchor in a special feature show. She moved to News 24 in 2007 and asked to moderate the evening debate show as an anchor.
Nature of Journalism
Nikita Saxena had written a long piece on the nature of Kashyap journalism, and she was highly critical of her reporting. She noted Kashyap's aggressiveness and propagation of Hindutva and partisan reporting in favor of the Bhartiya Janta Party in several situations. A news portal called scroll. in has found that friendly news anchor for the ruling party.
Kashyap was one of the few reporters who got permission to interview Prime Minister Narendra Modi just before the 2019 Parliamentary election. Critics point out that she did not throw any challenging questions at the Prime Minister. She quizzed the Prime Minister to his comfort.
When the Supreme Court of India in 2019 was about to pronounce to verdict in a dispute related to the Ayodhya title. Her debates were highly partial, and they seemed in support of pro-Hindutva. She was seen seeking answers from the Muslim community to suffice themselves with 5 acres of land. Her news headlines were provocative, and she ended up welcoming the decision of the Supreme Court.
When encephalitis broke out in Bihar in 2019, she was seen in haranguing with the on-duty Pediatrician of Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital. She was heavily criticized for this kind of attitude. The Indian Medical Association filed a complaint to gain bad publicity.
She is married to Delhi, Andaman, and Nicobar Islands Cadre IPS (Indian Police Service officer) Mangesh Kashyap. She met Mangesh during her days at Delhi University. Her husband had been Additional Deputy Commissioner of the Delhi Police and served as Chief Vigilance Officer in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation. Kashyap is a mother of a son and daughter.
Social Media Details
- Her Instagram handle name is @anjanaom...
- She has 208 posts, 379k followers, and 170 followings on her Instagram account.
- She joined Twitter in January 2010.
- Her Twitter handle name is @anjanaomkashyap.
- She has 4.7M followers on Twitter, and she follows 1,436 people.
She has a website under her name, and it is called www. anjanaomkashyap.com. She hosts a popular show called Halla Bol.
She earns around 1 Crore per year, and her salary, according to Google information, is 30 lakh per year. She lives in Delhi, and her office is situated in Noida. India Today is a big brand name in the media-business circle and has a significant size of viewership.
Brief Introduction of Anjana Om Kashyap
- Common Name: Anjana Om Kashyap
- Occupation: News Presenter, Indian Television anchor, and Journalist
- Popular for Aggressive stand on various social issues
Physical Measurements and Statistics
- Eye Color: Black
- Hair Color: Black
- Weight: In kilograms -55kg
In pounds: 121 lbs
- Height: In centimeters-162 cm
In meters: 1.62m
In feet inches: 5'4''
- Debut: Show "Aankhon Dekhi" on Doordarshan (2003)
- Favorite Film Genre: Rom-Com
- Favorite Food: North Indian Cuisine
- Favorite Sport: Cricket
- Gadgets: Phone
- Actor: Shah Rukh Khan
- India Today Chairman's Excellence Award
- Best Anchor by IMWA Awards in 2015
- Best Anchor by ENBA Awards 2015
- Best reporter of the year in the National Television Awards
- Awarded for Excellence in Journalism by the Ph.D. Chamber of commerce and Industry
- Anjana Om Kashyap was in controversy over the descendants of the Rani Padmavati. He made the statement during a heated argument between Rohit Sardana. Her remarks were the present-day female descendants of Rani Padmavati themselves speak in English and have modern lifestyles, so they hardly morally possess anything to give suggestions on the right portrayal of Rani Padmavati. She was heavily trolled on the social media site for the comment.
- India Today Group came under heavy fire when its Journalist asked the question to Smriti Irani during the university of Delhi visit. She was addressing a gathering of students, and the journalist cum anchor asked her about her appointment as Human Resource Development Minister in the Union Cabinet by Prime Minister Narendra Modi despite having controversies over her degrees and not being so young. The nature of the question enraged the HRD Minister, and it was not well received by the audience. Kashyap was severely criticized for not speaking against his fellow journalist cum anchor. People accused her of being a mute spectator.
- She landed into another controversy after interviewing Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav. This interview happened during the 2022 Uttar Pradesh Assembly Election. In that interview, Kashyap had lost her cool, and Samajwadi Party had banned its spokesperson from appearing on its shows.
- She also became a talking point when her off-record comment got aired. She made an unusual comparison of Aditya Thackeray with Rahul Gandhi. Later Anjana made a formal apology on its part; however, Aditya did not respond and showed maturity and dignity.
- When Mangesh Kashyap became the CVO of the South Delhi Municipal Corporations, it was said that he received it due to the influence of Anjana Om Kashyap.
Less Known Facts about the Anjana Om Kashyap
- Does she take alcohol? Not Known
- Does she smoke? Not Known
- Her mother's hometown was Bihar Sharif, and her father's hometown was Arrah District.
- Anjana comes from Bihari ethnicity.
- Kashyap had dreamt of being a doctor, and she had given a Pre-Medical Admission Test, but she did not qualify.
- She also prepared for the civil services exam after finishing of master's. She reached the interview twice but was not able to crack the exam.
- She began her journalistic career on the public broadcasting channel called Doordarshan.
- She worked at the news desk in the Zee News.
- Before coming to Aaj Tak, she was a part of News 24.
- Her news debate show aired on News 24, Do Tuk, was very famous.
- She has made special appearances in the Hindi film "Tiger Zinda Hai and Sultan.
- Along with journalism, she has taken noble efforts and worked for the resettlement of rape victims and colonies.
- She was a rebel from her childhood days and kept her views on the smallest things.
- She has been part of some of the biggest national news stories like Nirbhaya Gang Rape and Prince of Kurukshetra, who got stuck in the borewells for 24 hours.
- She was also subjected to eve-teasing when covering the Delhi Gangrape case in 2012.
- She suffixed her surname to Modi, but later she was heavily trolled for this act. She did this for her flagship program called "Halla Bol."