Computer Fundamental MCQ
1) A process is a _______.
Answer: (b) program in the execution
Explanation: A process is a program that is executed by the threads. It consists of multiple threads of execution.
2) The word processing feature that catches most random typographical errors and misspellings is known as _____.
Answer: (b) Spell checker
Explanation: The word processing feature that catches most random typographical errors and misspellings is known as spell checker.
3) What is smallest unit of the information?
Answer: (a) A bit
Explanation: The smallest unit of the information is a bit. All information is stored in the computer as bits.
4) What is the decimal equivalent of the binary number 10111?
Answer: (d) 23
Explanation: Binary number is 10111.
= 1x24 + 0x23 + 1x22 + 1x21 + 1x20
= 1x16 + 0x8 + 1x4 + 1x2 + 1x1
= 16 + 0 + 4 + 2 + 1
5) What is the term for a temporary storage area that compensates for differences in data rate and data flow between devices?
Answer: (a) Buffer
Explanation: Buffer is the temporary storage that can be used to compensate for a difference in data rate and data flow between devices. In other words, a buffer is an area of physical memory storage used to store data temporarily.
6) How many color dots make up one color pixel on a screen?
Answer: (d) 3
Explanation: Three color dots form a color pixel on a screen, and these are the following color dots: red, blue, and green. you can make any color from these 3 colors on the screen.
7) Which of the following values is the correct value of this hexadecimal code 1F.01B?
Answer: (d) 31.0065918
Explanation: B and F are equal to 11 and 15 respectively.
Therefore, equivalent decimal number is,
= (1x161 + 15x160 + 0x16-1 + 1x16-2 + 11x16-3)10
= (16 + 15 + 0 + 0.00390625 + 0.00268554688)10
8) How is the data stored on the diskette?
Answer: (c) Magnetism
Explanation: The data is stored on the diskette in magnetism form. A diskette is a removable data storage, and it is used with the PC.
9) Which of the following is the smallest visual element on a video monitor?
Answer: (b) Pixel
Explanation: A pixel is the smallest portion of the screen. The name Pixel is made from the "Picture element" and is also called the PEL. All screen is made by putting millions of pixels together in a matrix form.
10) Which of the following natural element is the primary element in computer chips?
Answer: (a) Silicon
Explanation: Silicon is the primary element in computer chips. Silicon is a highly pure element which is now perfect for the massive computer chip industry. It is cost efficent and easy to use.
11) Which of the following programs enables you to calculate numbers related to rows and columns?
Answer: (b) Spreadsheet program
Explanation: Spreadsheet programs help you to calculate numbers related to rows and columns. It can also graphically represent the data as per the user's requirement.
12) Which of the following is a structured programming technique that graphically represents the detailed steps required to solve a program?
Answer: (c) Flowchart
Explanation: Flowchart is a structured programming technique that graphically represents the detailed steps required to solve a program. Usually, it shows the steps as boxes of different types, and these boxes are connected with arrows.
13) Which of the following values is the correct value of this hexadecimal code ABCDEF?
Answer: (c) 11259375
Explanation: A, B, C, D, E, AND F are equal to 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 respectively.
Therefore, equivalent decimal number is,
= (10x165 + 11x164 + 12x163 + 13x162 + 14x161 + 15x160)10
= (10485760 + 720896+ 49152+ 3328 + 224 + 15)10
14) Which of the following is an output device?
Answer: (d) VDU
Explanation: The full form of VDU is the Visual Display Unit. It is a hardware output device that uses a cathode ray tube to display a visual image.
15) Which of the following is an input device?
Answer: (d) Mouse
Explanation: A mouse is a hardware input device that controls a cursor on a computer. With the help of the mouse, you can select, open, and move files, icons, folders, and text on the PC.
16) Which of the following is the extension of Notepad?
Answer: (a) .txt
Explanation: The .txt file extension is a standard text document extension that contains the unformatted text. It is the default file extension for the notepad.
17) BIOS is used?
Answer: (a) By operating system
Explanation: BIOS is used by the operating system. It is used to configure and identify the hardware in a system such as the hard drive, floppy drive, optical drive, CPU, and memory.
18) What is the mean of the Booting in the system?
Answer: (a) Restarting computer
Explanation: Booting is a process of the restart the computer. After restarting it, there is no software in the computer's main memory.
19) A computer is accurate, but if the result of a computation is false, what is the main reason for it?
Answer: (c) Incorrect data entry
20) The central processing unit is located in the _____.
Answer: (b) System unit
Explanation: The central processing unit is located in the system unit. The system unit controls the entire computer. It includes RAM, Processors, Optical drive, Power supply, Fans, Hardware, Peripheral devices, BIOS, etc.
21) Which one of the following groups contains graphical file extensions?
Answer: (d) JPG, GIF, BMP
Explanation: JPG, GIF, BMP are all extensions of graphical file. JPG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group, GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format, and BMP stands for Bitmap Image File.
22) Which of the following is equal to a gigabyte?
Answer: (c) 1024 megabytes
Explanation: One gigabyte is made up of 1024 megabytes.
1024 KB = 1 MB
1024 MB = 1 GB
23) How many bytes does 4 kilobytes represent?
Answer: (c) 4096
1 kb = 210 bytes in binary
1 kb = 1024 bytes in binary
4 kb = 4 * 1024 bytes
= 4096 bytes
24) Which type of program acts as an intermediary between a user of a computer and the computer hardware?
Answer: (a) Operating system
Explanation: An OS is a kind of program that acts as an intermediary for computer hardware and computer user. The purpose of an operating system is to provide a user-friendly and effective environment.
25) What kind of language can computer understand?
Answer: (a) Assembly language
Explanation: An assembly language is a scripting language capable of telling the computer explicitly what to do.
26) Which of the following values is the correct value of this binary code 1011 and 1111?
Answer: (c) 11 and 15
Explanation: 1011 = 1 × 23 + 0 × 22 + 1 × 21 + 1 × 20
= 8 + 0 + 2 + 1
1111 = 1 × 23 + 1 × 22 + 1 × 21 + 1 × 20
= 8 + 4 + 2 + 1
27) Which of the following is not one of the internal components of a CPU?
Answer: (d) Floppy disk
Explanation: Floppy disk is not an internal components of a CPU. It is a component of the secondary storage and external storage. It is a kind of data storage device.
28) What is the speed of computer measured in?
Answer: (c) Gigahertz
Explanation: The computer clock speed is normally calculated in gigahertz (GHz) or megahertz (MHz). a gigahertz is equal to one billion ticks per second, and a megahertz is equal to one million ticks per second.
29) What is the full form of RAM?
Answer: (b) Random Access Memory
Explanation: The full name of RAM is random access memory. It is a hardware device located in a computer that stores data temporarily. Temporary means it only stores data for some time. RAM is also called main memory, primary memory, or system memory.
30) What is the full form of DRAM?
Answer: (b) Dynamic Random-Access Memory
Explanation: The full name of DRAM is dynamic random-access memory. It needs a refresh power to work and it has transistor and capacitor for the memory cell. It is used in video game consoles, networking hardware, and system memory, etc.
31) Which one of the following software applications would be the most appropriate for performing numerical and statistical calculations?
Answer: (d) Spreadsheet
Explanation: Spread Sheet is the most appropriate for performing numerical and statistical calculation. A spreadsheet is a computer application that is a copy of a paper that calculates a worksheet. It displays several cells that together form a mesh that includes rows and columns, each cell containing alphanumeric text, numeric values, or formulas.
32) Which of the following is not considered hardware?
Answer: (a) Operating system
Explanation: The operating system (OS) is a software that acts as an interface between a computer and a user. It is also called system software. OS is the first program to be loaded into a computer. It manages all the operations of the computer.
33) Which of the following is exclusively a sequential access storage device?
Answer: (c) Magnetic tape
Explanation: Magnetic tape is exclusively a sequential access storage device. Sequential access memory is a type of data storage devices that read and write the data in a series.
34) Akshat has created a story of ten pages, but only wants to print the first two pages. Which printer command should he choose?
Answer: (b) Print from 1 to 2
35) What is the full form of SRAM?
Answer: (a) Static Random-Access Memory
Explanation: The full name of SRAM is static random-access memory. It needs a constant power to work. Due to continuous power, it does not need to be refreshed.
36) What is the full form of USB?
Answer: (d) Universal System Bus
Explanation: The full name of USB is Universal Serial Bus. It is a common interface that allows the communication between two devices.
37) Which one of the following is not a form of data storage media?
Answer: (a) A database
Explanation: A database is a collection of information that is organized in such a way that information can be easily accessed, managed, and updated. In the database, we can quickly and easily select the desired data. For example, the dictionary is analogous to a database that is like a file.
38) What is five main components of a computer system?
Answer: (d) CPU, Memory, System bus, Input, Output
39) Which of the following numbers is a binary number?
Answer: (d) 0 and 1
Explanation: Binary numbers are represented by 0 and 1. The computer only works on binary numbering systems because according to electronics, any signal can either be in the on state or in the off state.
40) Which one of the following is the best fire extinguisher for IT equipment?
Answer: (c) CO2
41) Select the correct statement from the following statements.
1. MS-Excel creates workbooks, and each workbook may contain more work sheets.
2. A worksheet in MS-Excel 2000 package has a maximum 0f 256 columns and 65536 rows.
3. Columns are identified by a number and rows are identified by a letter.
4. Cells are identified by the column letter and the row number.
Answer: (d) a, b, d
42) Which of the following statement is correct regarding a template prepared by a word processing package?
Answer: (a) Any document can be saved as a template.
Explanation: A template is a file that acts as a framework for a new text. Any document or text can be saved as a template.
43) Which of the following would be the correct description for WORM virus?
Answer: (b) It propagates through the internet and e-mail.
Explanation: A worm virus is a malicious file. This virus can be spread across a network without human aid. It also requires a large amount of bandwidth and memory. It spreads through the internet and e-mail.
44) A hard disk drive can be directly connected to a PC via a _____.
Answer: (a) SCSI interface
Explanation: A hard disk drive can be directly connected to a PC via a SCSI interface. SCSI is a group of protocols that send the data between computers and external devices in a physical manner.
45) The use of the IC in a computer has ______.
Answer: (b) Reduced the size and cost of computers
Explanation: The use of the IC in a computer has reduced the cost of computers. It is an incredibly small electronics chip integrated with a set of electrical circuits and transistors. It is a very small chip.
46) Consider the following path C:\Device\Module\Module 1. What is name of the file in this path?
Answer: (c) Module 1
47) What is the full form of SCSI?
Answer: (b) Small computer system interface
Explanation: The full name of SCSI is Small computer system interface. SCSI is a group of protocols that send the data between computers and external devices in a physical manner.
48) Which one of the following is not input device?
Answer: (c) Speaker
Explanation: Speaker is a hardware output device that is used for listening to audio by connecting it to a computer and other devices. The computer's sound card produces sound waves from the speaker.
49) Which one of the following is an example of the browser software?
Answer: (d) Internet explorer
Explanation: Internet explorer is a web browser software on the windows computer. It helps to search for anything in the world through the Internet. It is also known as Microsoft Edge. If you use a Windows computer, this software is already installed on your computer.
50) Which one of the following commands can be used to work on a file?
Answer: (c) Ctrl + C
Explanation: Ctrl C is a copy command on the computer. It is a very useful command. This command first selects the text, files, and any data that is stored in the computer's hard disk and then copies it. It is a shortcut key on the computer.