Why is my Computer so slow
Generally, when it is a new computer system, it works very smoothly and quickly. But, it is seen that as the age of the system grows, it becomes slower, and the performance decreases. The major problem can be your system might be low on memory space, or it needs retirement. Whatever might be the reason, a slow computer always hassles the mind and make a simple job too typical.
Here, we will discuss the reasons behind the slow working of a computer system.
Reasons for a slow Computer System
Technically, an operating system (either mac, Windows, etc.) is responsible for managing the different computer resources. Resources such as process, memory, drive space, etc., which are used by the programs for their execution. When we download more applications, softwares, drives full of movies or games impact the operating system and degrades the system's performance. Thus, the performance of a computer system depends overall on the operating system. Although there can be several reasons for a slow working computer, let's discuss and become familiar to such reasons:
- Low on memory (RAM): The Random Access Memory allocates space to the programs that execute in the system. As more number of program executions takes place, more memory space is occupied. Due to this, memory space becomes low and makes the system slower.
- Simultaneous execution of too many startup apps or programs: The development pace in the technical world has initiated numerous features in the computer systems. One such feature is the multiple executions of the programs at a time. It is beautiful, but somehow it slows down the computer speed. When we launch too many programs at the startup, it eats a large amount of memory, and CPU remains busy in their execution process, and therefore, it slows down the speed and performance of the system.
- Failure of hard drive: There are two reasons for hard drive failure, i.e., old hard drive and fragmented hard drive. As the system becomes older, the hard drive becomes weak, and the hard drive stops working and fails at a point of time. It is because a hard drive is built of moving parts that rotate a thousand times approximately per day. Also, a fragmented hard drive is dangerous to the system health because even after deleting some data to free up some space on the hard drive, it does exist as fragmented files.
- Malware or Virus Attacks: Sometimes, we allow unwanted publishers programs to get downloaded to our system. Most such programs download viruses or malware with them. Viruses are always harmful to health because, as they enter into the system, they affect all the stored files and directories of the system. In turn, it affects the system and slows down the performance of the system.
- Too many tabs are open on the web browser: It can also be a cause of the slow working of a computer system. When so many tabs are open altogether on the system, it takes time to process and load because every system has limited RAM, which sometimes fails to handle all webpages simultaneously.
- Only 5% space left in hard drive: It means that some programs and temporary files are occupying 95 % space, so the system speed becomes half of the actual speed, i.e., 50% of the actual speed.
- Too much Cache and Cookies in the browser: When we do any search, the browser saves the web pages in the cache memory to enhance the browsing speed, and cookies stores data on our system when we visit any website. So, both of them utilizes a large amount of memory in the drive and can result in slow computer speed.
- Animations and Visual Effects: The Windows operating system makes use of various animations and visual effects for specific purposes, such as for maximizing and minimizing any Windows, etc. Such animations and visual effects take up the processing power and make the computer system's speed slow but a bit slow only.
- Overheated Processor: When we use the system regularly, the processor heat up typically. It is said that the surroundings of a computer system should always be clean because dust, dirt, and hair obstruct the fan's airflow and results in an overheated processor. When the heat level reaches its extreme level, the computer system reduces its performance and speed on its own to prevent and save the system from such overheating issues.
- Unwanted Temporary files: When the computer system executes the programs, the hard drive stores some temporary files to it. These temporary files are unnecessary and undesirable and need to be removed from the system because such files can be the cause of slow computer speed.
- Falling out of Windows and Drivers Update: It is necessary to keep your system Windows as well as drivers up-to-date to their latest versions. It is because old versions can lead to the poor performance of the system. If you make them to its latest releases, they will get updated with highly improved speed and performance.
- Unwanted Default Applications and features: When you install or reinstall the Windows on the system, some default apps and features are also installed. So, if you find them useless, remove them from the system because they may unnecessarily occupy the memory space and can become a cause of slow computer speed.
- OneDrive Syncing: OneDrive is also responsible for the slow speeding and poor performing system. A computer system enables to store files (by default) either on the system itself or to the OneDrive and synchronizing the files between the two places. Although OneDrive helps fetch your files from any location via the internet, preserving files from any loss or system damage through backups, the files need synchronization, and syncing slows down the system's speed.